Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to lock my kids iphone remotely and it has a passcode so she just keeps unlocking it anyway to override without erasing it?

I would like to lock my kids iphone remotely and it has a passcode so she just keeps unlocking it anyway to override without erasing it?

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2017 11:52 AM

So, the only thing I get out of this forum is don't purchase Apple Devices for your children. They don't have the functionality that a modern day parent needs to control your child's use.

It's not that I can't control what she is doing. Problem is I can't control how much she gets distracted from doing what she is supposed to be doing because of the phone. Hence, it would be a nice function to be able lock it remotely.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2017 11:52 AM in response to Demo

So, the only thing I get out of this forum is don't purchase Apple Devices for your children. They don't have the functionality that a modern day parent needs to control your child's use.

It's not that I can't control what she is doing. Problem is I can't control how much she gets distracted from doing what she is supposed to be doing because of the phone. Hence, it would be a nice function to be able lock it remotely.

Jan 31, 2017 9:16 AM in response to Father of Apple Kids

Sometimes technology is not the best parent. You could "lock" it by just taking it from her when she shouldn't be using it. Or let her discover that there are consequences to disobeying parental guidance.

You cannot go back to older versions. And I don't know what phone you had, but it has never been possible to set a remote password on an iPhone that already has a passcode.

Jan 31, 2017 11:28 AM in response to Father of Apple Kids

Father of Apple Kids wrote:

So, the only way to lock it remotely is if you don't enable the passcode on the device? That is another reason not to purchase apple devices. Best alternative is to switch to an Android device.

Keep your parenting advice to yourself.

At the expense of having my post deleted by the hosts, it sounds like you need the parenting advice if you can not control what your daughter is doing.

.... and by all means switch to Android.

Feb 1, 2017 11:24 AM in response to Father of Apple Kids

There's more than one way than just thru the Apple ecosystem. I have this same issue with my daughter too - so I control a couple of different ways.

1. Install "FamilyBase" if you're a Verizon Customer. Not sure if other service providers have an equivalent application. The "FamilyBase" application allows you to set day and time limits on usage (voice, texting, data usage, etc..) while preserving ability to always contact emergency numbers like parents, 911, etc..

2. When at home and on Wifi (Apple Time Capsule) - I set time limits too - it's very easy and you can find the IP addresses by using Airport Utility application. This let's you selectively disable wifi for certain devices in your house for certain time periods. I shutdown my daughters PS4, Phone, and MacBook all the same time while keeping the parents devices enabled. Just google this for your router - I'm sure most all have this.

Switching to Android just brings other issues in my opinion. Not everyone likes Apple - I can understand.

Feb 11, 2017 4:24 AM in response to tamara88

I can't believe apple is this much careless about parental control. In windows, parents can set time limit and time range for the kids' devices. Apple family account *****. I have been trying for 2 weeks to limit my kid's access to some resources and set active/inactive hours on her device. Still not able to do it.

Dec 1, 2017 6:58 AM in response to Martin Joseph

Martin Joseph wrote:

Actually it would be super useful.

Be able to lock a kids phone while they are home would be a great way to get them out of the bathroom, or insure they don't use the device when they aren't supposed to.

Your theory of evil doers locking phones remotely is weak. They could just as easily wipe them now.

You are thinking too narrowly. Every action has consequences. Apple has teams that design features, and I'm sure they thought through all of the consequences of allowing a phone to be locked remotely. As have other vendors; Android phones could be locked remotely at one time, but that feature has been changed to work like Apple's.

The more general answer is you cannot replace parenting with technology. Speaking as a parent emeritus who raised 3 children successfully (my youngest is now 35), the way to insure that children don't use devices when they are not supposed to is to sequester the device when they shouldn't be using it. Or create a rule that says there are times they shouldn't use it, with consequences if they disobey the rule. Rules like "don't take your phone into the bathroom". A reasonable consequence for repeated violations might be to take away the phone, and replace it with a dumb flip phone for emergencies.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.