Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spyware

Help, recently on-line searching for vacation tours in South Carolina. Clicked on a link and received the following message:

Verbal message stated to call this number immediately because I have access a spyware (1-855-469-3948). Could this be true?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 1:21 PM

It is a scam. Do not call the number.

21 replies

Jun 25, 2015 4:06 PM in response to Teddie28

Interesting, I just got routed to a web page displaying an apple logo stating "Secure Connection Failed - svn.boost.org Uses and Invalid Security Certificate. The Certificate is not trusted..... [yada yada].... CALL TOLL FREE 1-855-169-3948"

There was also a pop-up window that descended below the bottom of my monitor, rendering no access to any buttons that may have been available. The popup window stated "http://mac-protecton.com Critical Security Warning! your System is infected with a malicious adward attack. Please call tech support at 1-855-469-3948and provide error code WBACK7917... [yada yada]... Please call customer service at 1-855-469-3948to [not a typo] resolve issues."

Clearly spam, but how did this page load? I wasn't going to 'svn.boost.org' but instead to ussoccer.com - also, I've recently visited sites pertaining to travel, similar to OP.

To resolve, I quit Safari, and on restart the same page/popup loaded. I quit Safari again but was fast enough to close the window before it loaded. I also had to close multiple 'unknown' tabs before an expected page loaded.

Clearly a scam and didn't call the number. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. Screen grabs of offending pages attached.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jun 25, 2015 8:24 PM in response to stedman1

These communications were all helpful. I had the same messages described above regarding secure connection failure with the instructions to dial (855) 469-3948. I used the force quit of Safari and then restart while holding the shift key to solve the problem. Out of curiosity, I dialed the phone number and hung up when someone answered. I was then called back from (463) 977-9249 but did not answer. Beware of this number as well.

Jun 29, 2015 8:28 PM in response to petermac87

This just happened to me - figured it was scam or something due to misspelled words; immediately shut down; started up - pages came back up so I shut down again and used my phone to find this information so I reopened safari by holding shift key - I did not call any #'s, etc., so am I ok? Do they have access to computer via those pop up windows?

Jun 30, 2015 2:41 AM in response to eamason25

eamason25 wrote:

This just happened to me - figured it was scam or something due to misspelled words; immediately shut down; started up - pages came back up so I shut down again and used my phone to find this information so I reopened safari by holding shift key - I did not call any #'s, etc., so am I ok? Do they have access to computer via those pop up windows?

No, they don't have access unless you contact them.

Pete

Spyware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.