Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5k fan noise

Hi there

I've just received my new iMac 5k, top of the range model (intel i7, M295X, 16GB, 3tb fusion).

I'm new to iMacs, I've owned in the past a couple of Macbook Pros. So I need your help.

On my rMBP, 15 inch early 2013, there is absolutely no fan noise when idle. On my 27 inch retina iMac on the other hand, you can hear the fan spinning. Not very high, but still. I bought iStat menus to check the fan speed, as I thought it was high: it is currently running at 1200rpm with only Safari running.

Do you think this is normal, or should I send it back?

Now I know the M295X card is not very stable at the moment, and is generating quite a lot of heat, and some users said they had problems with this card...

The Macbook Pro Retina has two asymmetrical fans, so it balances itself. The iMac only has one single fan, which is ginormous.

If you could help.... 😉

Cheers

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 1:00 AM

6 replies

Jun 23, 2015 1:08 AM in response to Bad Gold Eagle

After fiddling a bit more with iStats, I noticed that the minimum fan speed is 1200 rpm.

So it seems fine. When I drag the cursor, I can test different fan speeds. It gets significantly louder at 2700 ! But that's normal.

So I guess my computer is ok, it is normal to hear the fan slightly.

I read on another thread (What's the fan noise like?) that it is supposed to be similar to a MBP, but a 2008 MBP. So I can't compare...

While I wait for answers I will reset the SMC. That's not too much of a big deal, it can only make it better, not worse.

Jul 3, 2015 2:21 AM in response to autechre

hi autechre 😉

I'm glad somebody responded to my thread.

Yes, i called customer service. The lovely lady I had on the phone told me this wasn't normal. She works with an iMac and it isn't supposed to be so loud.

You should contact them immediately. Maybe you could send it back? Mine was 3,400 euros and for a machine this expensive, it wasn't acceptable.

Maybe you can't send it back now though, as you've got it for more than 14 days I'm afraid...

BUT if you call them, you could get a free repair at your local Apple Store.

Before sending it back, I gathered some info about my iMac, and I couldn't tell if it was a late 2014 or a mid 2015. Mac Tracker couldn't tell, and customer service either.

MAYBE some iMacs manufactured in between have problems. Can you check with yours on Mac Tracker? Mac Tracker, if you didn't know is an free App on the App Store, it tells you anything you want to know about modern Macs but also vintage ones.

And can you tell me if yours is equipped with a Fusion Drive or Flash Storage?

I was thinking about buying a new one, with 1TB flash. The hard drive in the Fusion drive may be the problem here. With a machine this powerful, i.e. 5k, M295X, i7 etc, maybe it overheats ?

Oh and by the way, the lady I had on the phone didn't understand why they sent me a late 2014 iMac. This wasn't normal either...

iMac 5k fan noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.