Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to post a question in the iPad section

Hmmm, now I can. Well, there's some mystery here, then. I first noticed this problem on June the 9th, so I called Applecare about it. They told me that they had the same problem with this website, and that they couldn't post questions in the iPad section by using their iPad. The person I talked to said that he would pass the word along. Today, I experienced the same problem when I tried to use my iPAD. I found that while I could type in the title: "I am unable to post a question in the iPad section", I couldn't type in the box entitled "Summary of your question" (this box). My keystrokes just wouldn't regisgter here. Today, I had the same experience, and I called Applecare again. They had the record of my previous complaint about this issue.

I don't know where the problem lies, but here is a summary of the problem: Neither Applecare nor I can post a question in the iPad section by using an iPad. Now, the problem might be wider than that, but that's its narrowest manifestation. By that I mean that maybe I can't post anything here by using my iPad. Obviously I can with my iMac, since that's what I'm typing on now.

Is there something special about using an iPad to post quesstions here? Finally, I am not posting this question in the iPad section. Maybe that;s where the problem lies. Maybe it's only the iPad section that is causing the problem. Is that possible? Where's the problem, iPads or the iPad section of this website, or something else?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 8:04 AM

What you are describing is some sort of bug in Safari and the ASC on iOS devices. I almost never post in this community using anything BUT my iPad and that is what I am using now. The AppleCare rep is wrong.

When the keystrokes don't show up in the text box, try dismissing the keyboard and then invoke it again, Or try tapping outside the text box and then inside it again.

You can also tap the HTML button in the editor bar at the top of the text box. Start typing your response and the letters will appear. If you want to post a link or do any formatting, you have to tap the HTML button again to get back to the editing bar.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Niku

What you are describing is some sort of bug in Safari and the ASC on iOS devices. I almost never post in this community using anything BUT my iPad and that is what I am using now. The AppleCare rep is wrong.

When the keystrokes don't show up in the text box, try dismissing the keyboard and then invoke it again, Or try tapping outside the text box and then inside it again.

You can also tap the HTML button in the editor bar at the top of the text box. Start typing your response and the letters will appear. If you want to post a link or do any formatting, you have to tap the HTML button again to get back to the editing bar.

Jun 26, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Demo

Okay, I'm going to use your suggestions right now.

Well, I'm already stuck. I have this page on my iPad, but how do I respond to your post using it? My first attempt didn't have REPLY on the bottom, so I couldn't respond with my iPad, but I finally got it; unfortunately, it doesn't work. In other words, I now see your message on both my iMac and iPad screens, but I can't reply with my iPad. Nothing happens when I click on REPLY on my iPad screen. Well, you have other suggestions. I'll try them all. Thanks.

I

Jun 26, 2015 1:19 PM in response to rccharles

What a day this has been! I won't bore you with the details, but I just hope I can last until I get things fixed. Anyway, I finally came to the same conclusion, and I'm using Google now. I should have thought of it before, because I have had the same problem before. I actually went for years as the Internet's biggest enemy. I was constantly being outraged by how slovenly and inept the website operators were. Then, someone suggested that I trash two Safari Preferences. I did, and the Internet and the websites were no longer enemies. Everything suddenly started working as it was supposed to. Who knew? Not me. I owe replies to others here, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Today, I'm just too tired to go on. By the way, does anyone know which Safari Preferences I should delete? If not, would I be tempting fate if I just deleted all of them?

Jun 27, 2015 9:23 AM in response to rccharles

I'm not sure what asc is. I did see an app by that name. Anyway, is there a way to fix Safari? I have found other browsers that enable me to connect to this website (I'm using one now), but I'd rather stick with a browser that I am familiar with. Also, i have found that the Chrome browser sometimes sticks and precludes any further typing. CAN SAFARI BE FIXED?

Jun 27, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Niku

I'm not sure what asc is. I did see an app by that name.

These discussions ( forums ) are called Apple Support Community, ASC for short.

Anyway, is there a way to fix Safari?

You may have to wait for a new version of ios. ios 8.4 is supposedly coming out at the end of june. I would not be first to use a new version of ios. wait to see if folks are reporting problems.

You could try...

Restore to factory settings by loading the latest version of ios that your machine will support:

Do a full backup of your device. Twice is best -- cloud and computer.

"You can use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to factory settings and the latest version of iOS."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

"You can put your iOS device into recovery mode, then restore it using iTunes.:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

At last resort you could consider DFU (Device Firmware Update). This could void your warranty.

http://www.imore.com/tip-put-iphone-ipad-dfu-mode

Jun 27, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Niku

I never use Safari on my iPad - my preferred browser is Atomic Lite (free); it has a few better options to control it, bookmarks, etc. FWIW, I don't use Safari on Mac OS either - I use Firefox on my iMac and MBP. Chrome is a resource hog (uses lots of memory) and it's a Google product, so I won't use it - I don't care for the Google business practice of selling my information.

Jun 27, 2015 10:37 AM in response to rccharles

Judging by the way ASC is used above, your meaning just doesn't fit. Aside from that, I'll try to reinstall the factory settings as soon as my iMac is back in service. Presently, i only have the use of it sporadically. Lately, it only operates for a minute or so and then goes off. It definitely must be taken to the repair store. Thanks for your suggestions. By the way, if it were a defect in Safari, wouldn't there be an avakanche of complaints about this problem? That doesn't seem to be the case.

Jun 28, 2015 10:17 AM in response to babowa

babowa,

i have a different question now. I'm posting my question here because I can't get in with a new question. Basically, my problem is that this forum has become too fificult to enter, and I'm loking for tips on how to do it as easily as possible.

Just now, I wanted to post this question, but I couldn't get through the gate. I kept being told that I don't have permission.

I have posted questions in this forum for many years. I'm not sure when the process became duificult, but I think it's been less than a year. Anyway, does anyone here know of a guide for posting questions here? Incidentally, I came here after being ubnable to post the question I am asking here.

Jun 28, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

Just now, I wanted to post this question, but I couldn't get through the gate. I kept being told that I don't have permission.

Aside for the many quirks that Safari has here in the ASC and the obstacles that the Jive software presents no matter which browser one uses in this forum, I have been using Safari almost exclusively here in the community on my iPad for over a year now. When the site was updated last June, safari became so much easier to use here with an iPad.

Having said that, I can sing the praises of Safari all day long (which by the way, I am not doing) and it doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean diddly. What I want to know is what is the exact wording of the message that you are getting about not having permission to post here. Can you provide the message content verbatim? Are you seeing a red bar that stretches all the way across the screen with an error message in it?

I am unable to post a question in the iPad section

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.