Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my Mac be hacked via a webpage ?

I was sent a disguised page where i put in my email address and password, although I think it was an attempt to hack into social networking sites still I'm worried if my mac could have been hacked?

It was from a webpage finishing with atwebpages.com or so..

Is there any way I can check that?
I have all sharing screen/remote etc switched off.
please help!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 11:31 AM

20 replies

Jun 27, 2015 12:13 PM in response to twenty7kisses

Phishing and especially spear-phishng are common and often in hopes of granting access if 1 in 5000 users make the mistake of opening email, to install something to grant access or load into a server and sniff or send out or monitor other traffic. Stealing credentials to gain access to another client.

It is not like you are Lockheed Martin or have an RSA key they want.

And if this was your friend's Fb account photo image, JPEG etc use to and can embed enough data even a small amount of code is all that is needed - getting users to drop their guide, trust the source, "social engineering" (and too often the convenience of clicking 9on email URLs to do something).

Reason for maintaing system backups that are bootable and off-line that you can trust.

Jun 27, 2015 4:35 PM in response to twenty7kisses

If I understand your report, you opened a web page and typed some email credentials. If that's all that happened, then any Internet account linked to those credentials may well have been compromised, but not the computer itself. You must change the password immediately, if you haven't already done that because you were too busy reading comments on this page. There's no need to do anything else. Running a shell command—any command—would be an absurd waste of time.

Jun 27, 2015 5:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your guidance 🙂 ! Yes, it was some page , i'm assuming fake one ( of picasa web albums ending with atmywebpage.com) that required me to sign in and then took me to a page to download picasa (which i didn't download because I have the app already on my computer)

I have changed all my passwords of old and new email accounts as well as apple and of my laptop before posting the query. This happened yesterday, and the email address I put in was an old one that I am not using anyway. My main concern is only the data on my mac, sorry I guess I am being a bit paranoid !

Can my Mac be hacked via a webpage ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.