Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto wont work with new upgrade

I just upgraded to yosemite and now iphoto has a round icon overlay with slash thru it (not available). i read this:

App Store. Switch to the Updates tab and install the iPhoto update if it’s offered. If you are running iPhoto 8 or earlier you might not see the update there and will need to contact Apple to get the final version of iPhoto added to your account so that you can upgrade to the intermediary stage, since the iPhoto product listing has been removed from the store.

how do i contact apple to have iphoto added to my account?

app store does not offer me and update nor the PHOTOS app.

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 6:00 AM

You need to update to iPhoto 9.6.1. You can contact the App Store Support from the main tab of the AppStore. There is a "Support" link on the main page of the App Store in the "Quick Links" section. You will have to provide a Proof of Purchase.

But first try to reinstall iPhoto from the Purchases tab of the App Store as described here:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

Which version of iPhoto do you have currently installed?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2015 6:00 AM in response to elski85

You need to update to iPhoto 9.6.1. You can contact the App Store Support from the main tab of the AppStore. There is a "Support" link on the main page of the App Store in the "Quick Links" section. You will have to provide a Proof of Purchase.

But first try to reinstall iPhoto from the Purchases tab of the App Store as described here:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

Which version of iPhoto do you have currently installed?

Jun 29, 2015 7:15 AM in response to elski85

i was able to grab iphoto from purchases, thank you so much. do i stay with iphoto now or do i want to upgrade to photo? if so how?

iPhoto is supported on MacOS X 10.10.3 and during the life cycle of Yosemite, but it will no longer be developed. Sooner or later you will have to switch to a different photos application, if you upgrade to a MacOS X version, that does no longer support iPhoto.

So it might be a good idea to stay with iPhoto for now, but to create a test library in Photos to explore it. The next version of Photos will be more versatile. Apple announced to add new features to Photos. Right now, Photos is not yet suited to work efficiently with large libraries.

See this User Tip:

Photos vs iPhoto: Features and Capabilities

and: Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

iphoto wont work with new upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.