Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 crashing on iPad

I just installed the new iOS 8.4 on my iphone and ipad and the ipad keeps crashing. It will launch to the home screen and then reboot over and over. It looks like a new update will need to fix the problem. Canyou say 8.4.1?

Iphone seems to be working fine.

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:01 AM

22 replies

Jun 30, 2015 10:45 PM in response to jafo399

i have same experience with @jafo399. I installed 8.4 last night. It work just fine.Then, this morning when i try to log-in to my iPad, a couple of seconds after that, my iPad restarted. Then, i logged back and still it restarted again. I did the reset but its still not working for me. It just so weird that when i don't log-in, the iPad does not restart but if i logged-in, the problem occurs. Please help me fix on this. 😟

Jul 1, 2015 11:35 AM in response to jafo399

I upgraded both my iPad mini w/Retina and my iPhone 4s to iOS 8.4 . My iPad mini is working fine. I had a problem with my iPhone, however. I was out and was attempting to login to a public wifi. It began to fall into a reboot loop. Restart, restart, restart. As it turned out, I am running a VPN app called Betternet. As soon as my phone attempted to connect to wifi with the VPN option in Settings toggled to the "ON" position, my phone would crash. So, immediately after booting up and entering my lock screen password I saw my home screen. I clicked on Settings right away, and tried to toggle VPN to "OFF". Phone crashed again before I could switch it. The next time on reboot, I deleted the Betternet app before my phone could even try to initialize a wifi connection. With the app gone, there was no longer a VPN option in Settings. My phone has now been ON for 20 hours with no more crashing or problems. My problem appears to have been an app vs. iOS version incompatibility. Perhaps this will solve your issue.

That's it. I hope that helps. Oh, by the way, I found similar advice on the Betternet user forums page of their website suggesting the same solution for Betternet users after I had removed the app.

Jul 1, 2015 11:55 AM in response to BRi_pOLaR

BRi_pOLaR.

This is exactly what the problem was. I also use the VPN from Betternet, and as soon as I tried to connect to a public wifi...CRASH. I did not notice it the first time my ipad crashed, as I had to wait to restore it from a backup at home. Of course I do not use that VPN at home, so everything worked fine until this morning. I turned on the VPN again and it crashed again. Luckily, I have a icloud backup and was able to do another restore, but I will not be turning on the VPN on the ipad until there is an update from Betternet.

I also have an iPhone 6 that uses the Betternet VPN, but it updated without any issues. Thanks for confirming my assumptions.

Jul 1, 2015 8:43 PM in response to jafo399

Your findings are partially correct and definitely Betternet is part of the problem. I have Betternet installed on my iPad 4 Retina, iPhone 6Plus and iPhone 5S. While in your case, the iPhone wouldn't work with Betternet VPN switched ON, I have the iPhone 6Plus and 5S perfectly working on iOS8.4 with Betternet installed and switched ON. However, I have exactly the same issues you had on my iPad 4 Retina. When Betternet is connected it gets into the restart loop few seconds after login. You can switch ON the Airplane mode immediately after login and take your time to disconnect Betternet. The iPad works well after Betternet is disconnected; you don't necessarily delete the app.

What I think is it may be related to the generation of the apple hardware or chip used on different devices. Your iPhone 4S and my iPad are same generation apple devices while my iPhones are newer devices. The reply from jafo399 also indicate the same. His iPhone 6 works, while his iPad have issues. @jafo399 - Can you specify the iPad model??

Jul 2, 2015 9:11 AM in response to Ike4life98

Switching all wifi around you is a little difficult at work or at home. If you can do that, and remove the sim card, that should work to turn off the VPN. Just like you, I could not access any applcations or the settings options on my ipad. It would immediatly reboot 1 second after loading the home screen. My option to restore from a previous backup was a last resort, but as least I know I had a working version.

I have been using my ipad for 1 full day now, and I have not had any problems.

iOS 8.4 crashing on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.