Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 how do I turn off music shuffle

I have an album (Opera) where order is important. The new Music app keeps shuffling it ... and filling an up next list ... how do I p[lay tracks 1 to 82 in order?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2017 1:08 AM

After about two months of trying to solve this problem intermittently I finally realised that in iPhone 6 with browser enlarged the shuffle/repeat buttons are BELOW THE SCREEN!! You need to scroll down to see them when you look at a song. Doh!!

User uploaded file

63 replies

Jun 30, 2015 10:00 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thank you ... really poor design ... why would I go there when there is an icon for shuffle just above. I know that that re-shuffles but still ... incredible ... long pressing this button does not produce a menu, swiping it does not turn shuffle off ... designed by programmers ... tested by beta testers (aka. dev and experts) ... but meant to be used by everybody

Jul 5, 2015 1:10 AM in response to Folbo

This does not help me - It seems that shuffle is the default mode which is crazy and shows little or no research or knowledge in the programming department - almost all classical music listeners will want there music to play in sequence with the option to skip.

This must be made easier please. I still cannot remove the shuffle

Jul 14, 2015 4:50 AM in response to King_Penguin

After over a week of pulling my hair out because of this stupid shuffle thing, finally I get it stopped. Thank you, but I also stand along side with other people who say that it shouldn't be this difficult. Once you know, OK but that's not how most of has have drawn our experience from music apps.

It's doubtful I'll keep it beyond the 3 month period, if I want a playlist I'll make my own thank you, and I have enough music in Amazon to do it. Unfortunately my hard drive took a dive on my old pc (I can't afford a Mac, I hate Microsoft). I'm hopeful Microsoft 10 1. works with my Airport. iTunes etc, so I can go back to iTimes. I can play from Amazon MP3 but it cannot due the smooth song to song transactions that iTunes can.

Again thanks for the shuffle solution.

Jul 14, 2015 10:18 PM in response to Folbo

I agree completely. "Shuffle" is something that applies to an entire playlist and has no relevance to a single track because you can't Shuffle one song. So why would you need to to go into an individual track to Shuffle (or un Shuffle) a playlist or Album.

My last comment in this thread was deleted because it was a "rant". I'm entitled to an opinion on a device that cost me $1000 so don't delete this comment.

Jul 15, 2015 5:51 PM in response to demetrius123

It does actually work Demetrius. It's a very illogical way of setting it up but you can turn off the shuffle. Follow the instructions carefully.

Open the Music app.

Go to the list of "Playlists" or "Albums".

You should see Album Artwork. Don't click on the Artwork as it just starts playing the album.

Click on the text next to the artwork.

User uploaded file

Ignore the word "Shuffle" in the middle of the screen and select the name of the track playing at the bottom of the screen.

NOTE: you can also do this from the previous screen (see above). But that is usually the last song you were playing rather than the album you want to listen to now.

User uploaded file

You should now see a screen like this with the Shuffle ON (dark grey square) or OFF (no dark square)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You then use the little grey "Down Arrow" in the top left of the screen to return to your Playlist or Album. You can now select the first track and play the Album in order. This should remain as the default unless you accidentally hit the Shuffle button above the track list, in which case you will need to follow this procedure again.

Enjoy your music.

Jul 22, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Folbo

Thanks for the solution. Honestly: Apple has been an iconic reference about user friendly stuff for many years but if you consider that you have to go to a user's forum trying to look for an answer to such a simple (stupid) question like this 8 (I had to do it) you have to ask yourself if the guys that are designing applications right now in Apple actually designs with user friendlyness in mind.

Try to user very old applications and you would get an easier way to put shuffle active or inactive (old Ipods are good samples)

thanks again

Jul 25, 2015 7:16 PM in response to Yogi707

thank you Yogi707

the simple explanation with photos of the shaded and unshaded icon made a world of difference

one wonders why the word 'shuffle' and a suffle icon would exist both center left and right on the playlist screen baffles

"apple kill shuffle or redesign it" (wishful thinking - they'll do neither)

i am getting tired of chaffing over each 'improvement' of features with apple ...

new versions of everything take useful features away and give us dumbed down, clumsier, less useful apps (imovie/garageband/photos etc)

really makes one reconsider the extra hardware expense ...

iOS 8.4 how do I turn off music shuffle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.