Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad froze up after installing iOs 8.4

I installed iOS 8.4 on both my iPad2 and my iPhone 5s. The pone works great but my iPad is completely frozen up. All I can get is the Apple symbol and even that goes away after a few minutes. Holding down home and restart buttons does nothing. I tried connecting it to my computer but iTunes does not even see the iPad. Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 6, 32g ATT 3g

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 12:27 PM

Hi

Turn ipad off

Connect lead to USB on PC

Press power button hold down don't let go

Connect lead to iPad keep power button pressed

Until PC sees ipad.

Wait for restore .

Cheers

Brian

47 replies

Jul 1, 2015 12:20 AM in response to tomkat

Same problem here - iPad 2 stuck at "Restoring iPad firmware..." I spent an hour on chat with Apple tech with no solution. I tried everything - two different computers, different cables, restore mode, DFU mode... nothing works. My iPad 2 is completely bricked - I have an appointment at Apple Store in the AM to have them check it out. I hope they can fix it!

Jul 2, 2015 9:03 PM in response to tomkat

I had the same problem, my iPad2 would get 80% of the way through 'verifying' and stop.

I was able to resolve this by installing iTunes on my laptop (my iPad had never been attached to my laptop) then connecting my iPad to the new fresh computer, and it was able to complete the 'restore', then I when back to my main computer and recovered the backup.

Hope this helps.

Jon@Supertecs

Jul 4, 2015 2:33 AM in response to Briansyddall

same problem with my ipod touch 5. After update just stuck on the apple logo. Plus into my Mac and hold the power button for 5 sec to turn off. And press the button with holding the home button. boot up in the recovery mode. On the itune say issues with update. Ask me to either update or restore. I selected update and waiting for result now

Jul 4, 2015 2:22 PM in response to tomkat

I had this exact problem. tried everything they suggested. Issue came after installing a cydia tweak that probably wasn't updated to 8.4.

in order to fix:

While having ipad plugged in and itunes on screen.

1. Hold down power and home until u get apple sign.

2. when apple sign comes up release power.

3. Unplug ipad and replug into usb slot.

this put my in recovery mode and gave me the option to wipe my ipad and reinstall everything.

No more paperweight.

Jul 5, 2015 8:34 AM in response to tomkat

My iPad2 updated correctly, however Safari is useless after updating to 8.4, also music homesharing is gone 😟

But to get back after the update .... safari responsive is slow, very slow and even when all apps are closed safari is loading for ages.

Didn't notice this at an iPad Air 2 with iOS 8.3.

My advice is to go back to iOS8.3 and leave this as the last version.

Jul 8, 2015 4:35 PM in response to tomkat

Same problem with my iPad 2. after upgrading to 8.4 it appears dead to the world; but a few times it will boot up normally and appear to be functioning ok.

But after awhile when it goes to sleep and it is again dead. Tried restoring several times, but it just hangs up withe apple logo and progress bar. itunes states that it is waiting for the ipad but nothing happens.

iPad froze up after installing iOs 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.