Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlists disappeared in IOS 8.4

I Updated my iPhone 5S to 8.4. When relaunching and setting up I went to where playlists now live to find all of my playlists gone! Here is what I have done;

Restarted App

Resynced

Restarted Phone

Restarted Itunes and resynced.

Restarted Computer and resynced

How do I get them back?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:44 AM

Tap the Music app then select Playlists top of the screen then tap: All Playlists > All Playlists > Show iTunes Purchases.

69 replies

Jun 30, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Ossnowman

Are the missing playlists ones that are synced with iTunes on your computer? Or were they created on the iPhone?

If they are synced with your uTunes library, are you using iCloud Music Library? (Settings / Music / iCloud Music Library) If so, try turning it off.

I can't speak for the Music app, but the podcast app has never been able to show synced iTunes playlists while iTunes Match / iCloud Music Library enabled on the phone. I report it as a design flaw with every new release of iOS but so far, no luck.

Jun 30, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Ossnowman

Hi! I think i had the same problem, i solved it going to setting on the iphone, then music and disabling the setting that says "Libreria Musicale di iCloud" on mine(i'm Italian) that should be "iCloud music library" or something like that on your iPhone. Then i connected the iPhone to my Pc, went to the "Syncronization preferences" of the phone in the music tab and checked on the playlist i used to have on the phone. Then i syncronized. I'm really sorry for my english, plus the names of the option on itunes and on the iphone are written different from yours(in english i guess) and mine(italian), I really hope you understand what i did (:

Jun 30, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Ossnowman

So, after upgrading to iOS 8.4, I also lost all the playlists I created in iTunes and on the iPhone. Luckily, before upgrading, I had synced and backedup the iPhone, so I could see all the playlists within iTunes.

With iOS 8.4, it seems that there is a new default setting (aka defect) in the Music App that changes the default music library from YOUR music to iCloud music, even if you've never used iCloud for music. So after the upgrade, the Music App shows no playlists.

If you go under Settings --> Music, you'll see that the option for iCloud Music Library is enabled (i.e. switch is to the right). If you move that switch to the left, then the Music App will be allowed so show your iTunes music library again. But, you may need to resync from iTunes, as I had to. Actually, I had to turn off all my music to be synced in iTunes, sync to remove music from the iPhone, and then turn on all my playlists to be synced to the iPhone and sync again. Kind of a pain.

Jun 30, 2015 7:13 PM in response to Major Apple User

Well, it is time that Apple will take more care in QA.

As Major Apple User suggested the only way to get the playlist is to get rid of iCloud Music Library. It works.

But really this is not a real solution because in this case none of the songs from Apple Music cannot be added or downloaded to my library because it only saves to iCloud. Also even if ALL the playlist were transferred to iCloud, they are sorted by Artist or Title only and NOT by my own sort preference like for example by number of plays.

In addition, when the playlists were restored I notice that the star ranking of many of my songs just disappeared.

It looks like Apple is rushing and doing the same job like all the other companies that they so proudly compares against like Microsoft and Samsung.

Jun 30, 2015 8:56 PM in response to Ossnowman

This is what worked for me. I turned off iCloud music on my phone. This, of course, deleted the music I had downloaded today. I then synced with itunes on my MBP. After I did that, I turned iCloud music back on via my phone and a message popped up asking me if I wanted to merge my iTunes and Apple Music libraries or remove my iTunes library from that device. I chose merge and that put my itunes playlists back on my phone anod allowed me to re download the tracks I'd downloaded on Apple Music. Looks like everyone is in order for me now and my playlists are back.

Jul 1, 2015 4:10 AM in response to Tulir

There seems to be a number of annoying sorting quirks. I hate the fact that you can't display all songs by a particular artist. This update also didn't fix the number One thing I hated about the old one-- that it doesn't go back to what you were listening to previously when you open it. It's just not as user friendly as it used to be.

Jul 1, 2015 6:58 AM in response to Ossnowman

Maybe I'm missing something, but I do not have an option for iCloud Library! And, now all my songs and playlists are gone (yet iPhone still shows that I'm using same amount of HD space)

Under Settings | Music, I have:

Apple Music

Show Apple Music (not on)

Join Apple Music (in blue type)

Library

Sort Albums (By Artist)

Genius (not on)

Subscribe to iTunes Match (in blue type)

Playback

EQ (off)

Volume Limit (off)

Sound Check (not on)

Playlists disappeared in IOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.