Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[iOS8.4] Restrictions Music & Podcasts grayed out

In Settings > General > Restrictions, the "Music & Podcasts" toggle is grayed out. Apple Music plays only clean versions of tracks. How do I change this?

Not a company iPhone, no Exchange syncing.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:55 AM

14 replies

Jul 2, 2015 12:15 AM in response to ckuan

It must have something to do with iOS 8.4 as a few hours before my update it was working! I was listening to explicit content on Podcast the same day and then nothing! I have tried logging in and out of my account, i have restarted my phone and even restored form previous backup but it is still grey and wont allow me to unchoose it.

Jul 2, 2015 1:06 AM in response to ckuan

Its not everyone that is having the same problem, I spoke with a few of my mates and only one other has the same issue with me, and it all started with iOS 8.4. If there is any help you can provide it would be highly appreciated. I have been trying since yesterday to resolve the issue and up until now i cannot change the setting.

Jul 7, 2015 9:11 AM in response to GTC1882

Hey!

I have the same issue. The problem lies with where you live, meaning the region (your country)! I live in India and I had music almost my entire library and it was shocking as I noticed they were missing as soon I updated to iOS 8.4. But I found a temporary workaround that, if you change your region to United States from Settings > iTunes & App Store, your explicit contents re-appear! This seems ridiculous to me. There are several other problems pertaining to the region where you live and the services Apple offers you, most of which are really necessary and Apple restricting you from accessing them feels like the money we paid for their products pays off to restrict certain features! Irony.

I paid the same amount for my phone just like anyone had paid for their in the U.S. but still I would not be served with all the services. I can understand that some ratings restrict Explicit materials to make their way to specific countries, but this wasn't at all an issue before iOS 8.4. I don't know what made Apple to suddenly realise the content restrictions for such countries.

I'm mad right now. 80% of my songs are missing 😢

Jul 7, 2015 10:23 PM in response to rraut

SORTED (partially) after a 45min call with Apple Support. Yes, I'm from India and yes, I have exactly the same problem of "Music and Podcast" being greyed out. Two step process that worked for me:

1. Turn OFF family sharing

2. Go to iTunes store and change store from India to US.

Everything worked.

However, this is only a temporary measure because I can't use my Indian credit card in the US iTunes store (it asks for a US address and I don't have one). And I can't use the Indian iTunes store because all explicit content has been blocked.

I hope this gets resolved.

Hope this works for everyone else too.

[iOS8.4] Restrictions Music & Podcasts grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.