Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Airplay does not work for Music Radio channels

As for title, is just me and my setup? (1 Apple TV, 1 Airport Express, 1 MacBookPro 2014)

The new Music works fine and I can listen through multiple speakers using AirPlay.

The same doesn't apply if I tune into Beats 1 or the BBC for that matter.

Any idea if this is a bug or a feature?

Thank you

/P

OS X Yosemite (10.10), 1 tb TimeCapsule, AAX, Apple TV3

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 3:03 AM

17 replies

Jul 1, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Oglomov

Oglomov wrote:

It is not a licensing issue, in fact I can use Airplay for Beats1 on iPad just fine.

Hum, not exactly the same thing, IMHO.

Airplay on iOS allows beaming your music to one device at a time only, whereas with iTunes on OSX you can use Airplay to send your music to multiple speakers at once and without silencing the Mac you are using.

Doesn't sound like a bug to me.

/P

Jul 4, 2015 4:57 AM in response to Gran Maestro

I noticed this too, the icon disappears once the station starts to play and load the thumbnail. Looks almost more like a GUI issue.

If you are using iTunes on a Mac, on newer OS X you can stream all system sounds to an airplay device. Look in Sounds Sys Pref and select the desired output device. Or to shortcut, hit Alt+volume icon at the top of screen and chose the Airplay device.

Jul 19, 2015 6:17 AM in response to Gran Maestro

While airplay doesn't work within iTunes for Beats1 (no idea why), it does work at the system level if you're using a mac.

Alt + Click on the speaker in your system tray and instead of a volume slider, you'll get a list of available output and input devices. Simply select your airplay device from the output list and iTunes Radio will start coming through your speakers.

The only downside is that all system sounds (new email alerts, whatever else you're doing on your computer) also come through the speakers, which is why it'd be swell if they let you do it in itunes.

Apple Airplay does not work for Music Radio channels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.