Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the difference between Photos and All Photos

On the left hand sidebar of Photos for Mac, I have "Photos" at the top and then "All Photos" as the first item under albums.

Problem is- there is a different number of photos in each.

Photo- 24553

All photos- 25219

So any one know why the difference?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2015 10:43 PM

This is not helpful to me, because I cannot figure out why more than 300 recent photos never made it to the "Photos" tab section, but ARE included in the "All Photos" section of "Albums." I am extremely frustrated because I want the new photos to display by date that I took the new photos, as they used to do. In "All Photos" the images are completely screwed up and seemingly random. As such, I am loathe to try and figure out which of the 300+ photos have been "hidden" and then trying to correct them. I am sure I didn't accidentally "hide" every single photo I took since July 1, which are all the ones that did NOT get added to the "Photos" tab. Help!

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2015 10:43 PM in response to léonie

This is not helpful to me, because I cannot figure out why more than 300 recent photos never made it to the "Photos" tab section, but ARE included in the "All Photos" section of "Albums." I am extremely frustrated because I want the new photos to display by date that I took the new photos, as they used to do. In "All Photos" the images are completely screwed up and seemingly random. As such, I am loathe to try and figure out which of the 300+ photos have been "hidden" and then trying to correct them. I am sure I didn't accidentally "hide" every single photo I took since July 1, which are all the ones that did NOT get added to the "Photos" tab. Help!

Jul 1, 2015 4:24 AM in response to drsimonspence

Problem is- there is a different number of photos in each.
  • The "Photos" view at the top is showing you the Photos Library split into Moments, Collections, Years. It is sorted by the capture date of the photos, and if you hide a photo it will be removed from the Photos View.
  • The "All Photos" album is a smart album and will show you all photos, even photos that have been hidden, so the number can be larger. Also, this album is sorted by the date you added the photos, not the date the photos have been taken.

You can hide and unhide photos by selecting them and pressing the key combination ⌘L for "Image > Hide/Unhide Photo".

Aug 9, 2015 10:51 PM in response to eembardo

With no details one can only guess - less "feelings" and editorial comments and more facts would be good - best guess it that the 300 recent photos have a bad date due to a camera setting or battery problem and therefore are not where you expect them in Photos - in All Photos right click on one and show moments - what do you get

LN

Aug 9, 2015 11:11 PM in response to LarryHN

For the older ones (e.g., February), I get back to the correct moments in the "Photos" tab. For any after July 1 (about 300, three of which I just tested as you suggest), I get nothing. They really are not in the "Photos" tab.

And, as for emotions, I am not a happy camper, as the upgrade to Photos has caused me a lot of grief for many many hours over the past several weeks. So, a little less "feelings" on your part will also be appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 10, 2015 12:18 AM in response to LarryHN

I'm confused about your reply. Not sure why you need more details than I've given in both my original comments and my later reply. Is there still some more information that you need? Once again, older photos, when double-clicked, as you suggest, take me to the proper moments. Newer photos do not, so are clearly not in the photos moments or events. Any help would be most appreciated.

Aug 10, 2015 4:27 AM in response to eembardo

Newer photos do not, so are clearly not in the photos moments or events. Any help would be most appreciated.

How did you import the new photos since July 1? Did you import directly from the card to your Phots Libray? Or have you been transfering the photos wirelessly using iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, or Shared Albums from a different mac or a mobile device?

As I said above - any photo imported to your library has to be in a Moment. It may be hidden however, and then it will only show in "All Photos", but not in Moments and Collections.

If the Hidden album is empty, and you are still having a discrepency in numbers between All Photos and and "Photos", the missing photos have not yet been imported to your Photos library, for example, because they are in your Shared albums.

Or you Photos library is corrupted. In that case make a backup of the Photos library, if you do not have a current backup copy,

and then try to repair the library with the First Aid Tools.

• To launch the "First Aid Tools" in Photos hold down the options-command keys ⌥⌘ while double clicking the Photos library.
  • Select "Repair" in the panel that will pop up. Don't try a repair without having a backup copy of the library.

Aug 10, 2015 8:48 AM in response to eembardo

There are no details in anything you posted except two photos counts and a statement of a problem - no information about what you have, what you are doing - no details = but lots of useless opinions and complaints

Since show in Moment does not work you probably have a corrupted database - backup your Photos library and launch Photos while holding down the option and command keys - repair you database

LN

Aug 10, 2015 2:30 PM in response to eembardo

You are welcome - you got what you gave, nothing except the most likely answer

Since show in Moment does not work you probably have a corrupted database - backup your Photos library and launch Photos while holding down the option and command keys - repair you database

Of course you do not have enough thoughtfulness to acknowledge that or to mark the solution for future users - you are too busy whining about your personal problems

Have a nice day

LN

Aug 11, 2015 12:34 AM in response to LarryHN

I recommended the repair already in my first answer (Re: What is the difference between Photos and All Photos) to eembardoLarry. And we still don't know, if eembardo ever tried it.

It is just impossible to have an orderly discussion in a thread jacked thread, because it is so cumbersome to keep track of what has been posted by the original poster or the follow up posters.

Aug 12, 2015 8:36 AM in response to léonie

It worked! Thanks so much. Sorry about the delay; it took a long time to back up my photos. Thanks to everyone for your help. And, leonie, although, yes, you did make the correct recommendation early on, I'm afraid, as a novice (both to Photos and to discussions), I didn't understand it at the time. So, thanks to you and to Larry, I was finally able to make the fix. Sorry to everyone for showing my frustration early on; lesson learned.

What is the difference between Photos and All Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.