Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks chapter titles missing in iOS 8.4

I have a large number of audiobooks (radio shows with individual episode names, books in a series which I formatted as separately-named chapters in a single volume, books with specialized chapter titles, etc) for which all the chapter titles appeared properly while using the Music app in iOS 8.3. But after I upgraded to iOS 8.4, the titles are all gone in the new iBooks app and replaced with "Track 1," "Track 2," etc, so I have no idea which is which. I really don't want to have to redo my entire collection just to get my books to appear properly. When will this be fixed?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:13 AM

21 replies

Jul 1, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Dalekmaster

The quick fix would probably be to change all of those files to "Media Kind = Music" on your computer - then they'd appear in the Music app again, and the titles would appear. It's what I'm doing for now for all of the audiobooks I've got with different titles/episodes rather than a sequential track order, or for audiobooks that I want in a playlist.

Send feedback to Apple about this - I hope they'll change it, but given how the Podcasts app stripped lots of playlist functionality from podcasts and that's never come back, I'm not overly optimistic about iBooks improving.

Jul 4, 2015 10:49 AM in response to David Stone1

Not only that, formatting the books as Music doesn't allow you to rewind by 15 seconds. Without that functionality, listening to books as Music becomes incredibly frustrating as I frequently have to stop listening when I get a phone call or a passenger says something. When I get off the phone, I have to drag the slider back, go too far, try to fix it, go too far, etc. It's a real pain and I hope Apple fixes this soon.

Jul 5, 2015 9:14 PM in response to Dalekmaster

Oh, I know putting the audiobooks back into Music is awful. It depends what your priority is. My "real" audiobooks, with hours in order and chapters embedded in the file, are for now remaining as Audiobooks because I'm not too bothered about chapter titles. My language lessons that depend heavily on smart playlists have all been moved renamed as music because they're utterly useless without seeing titles or playlists. Other stuff ... I'm not yet sure of. It looks like iTunes isn't actually syncing "last played" data from the iPhone, so I'm probably going to have to move lots of other stuff to Music as well, seeing as how I've got lots of smart playlists that are basically "ten most recent unplayed episodes of _____", and those are no longer renewing themselves as I play content.

I'm more and more horrified by how badly the integration into iBooks is (not) working.

Admittedly I am in a way pushing audiobooks to do what they're not supposed to do, because lots of my audiobooks are actually podcasts, but Apple messed up the Podcasts app so badly that now I use the files as audiobooks instead. Sigh.

Jul 7, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Lost in Asia

For those of you that, like me, were converting Podcasts to Audiobooks so that you could listen to them at advanced speeds, there is a fix. Now instead of converting them to an audiobook, convert them to iTunes U, transfer them to your device, and play them using the iTunes U app. You will see all of the podcast information and no track numbers. This should work until Apple screws up the iTunes U app, like they did podcasts and now audiobooks.

Jul 9, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Dalekmaster

Others with this issue: beware converting your precious material to Podcasts, as it may automatically delete your 'episodes'. There is a setting to switch this, but if you're cataloguing precious data (like interviews, etc, as I am), calling these things Podcasts and having them filed and sorted according to 'broadcasts' makes no sense.

Why, Apple, do you seem to now have a policy of stripping functions from your software? Put the chapter titles back please....

iBooks chapter titles missing in iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.