Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app iOS 8.4 shuffle genre

Hello,

Did Apple take out the ability to shuffle songs within a genre? Can't find it now and Google is not bringing up any solutions yet...

Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 9:01 AM

It seems like in iOS 8.4, there is no longer a Shuffle option within Genres. I really hope that Apple will add it back in a future version of iOS! You can always give Apple your feedback at https://www.apple.com/feedback/.

In the meantime, and even though this may be time-consuming and cumbersome, you can always add the songs in a genre to a playlist and then shuffle the playlist! 🙂

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Carlos Perez2

It seems like in iOS 8.4, there is no longer a Shuffle option within Genres. I really hope that Apple will add it back in a future version of iOS! You can always give Apple your feedback at https://www.apple.com/feedback/.

In the meantime, and even though this may be time-consuming and cumbersome, you can always add the songs in a genre to a playlist and then shuffle the playlist! 🙂

Jul 1, 2015 9:37 AM in response to Carlos Perez2

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

The function is still there, just hidden.

To shuffle songs within a genre in your library, do the following:

1. Tap the "My Music" tab.

2. Tap the selection in the divider at the top between "Recently Added" and the music list. A drop down will appear where you can select a means to sort. Select "Genre". You can use this same method to shuffle within other sorting schemes (artists, albums, etc.)

3. Scroll to your desired Genre. Tap the IMAGE (or gray square) to the left of the Genre name, not the name itself. A song within that genre should start to play.

4. When you tap the currently playing song name at the bottom, the currently playing song will expand up. Make sure the Shuffle icon is lit at the bottom.

5. THAT'S IT! Enjoy! If you have the "repeat" icon de-selected, playback will stop once all the songs in the selected genre have been played.

Jul 1, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Carlos Perez2

Carlos,

At best, it is a cheesy workaround. Our car stereo does the same thing when connected to an iPhone. You have to burn that first song. It will be the same first song each time you start a new Shuffle from that Genre. It looks to be the first Song from the first Album listed under that Genre.

It's ridiculous, really. Apple has been leaving me unimpressed with many recent programming decisions.

Their methodology has been inconsistent across devices and platforms. It used to be said Android was fragmented, but they aren't alone these days.

I have already downloaded another music app to replace this one for basic use.

Heavy sigh.

Having said that, thanks for documenting this approach.

JP

Jul 7, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Quiller

First, thank you Carlos and tbmillner for these alternatives.

Quiller, I agree with you. How come nobody at Apple has tested this?

I use an iPhone because I had an iPod to listen to my music years ago and now my phone is my iPod.

Try to do an Artist Shuffle, same problems/resolutions.

It would have been so easy to add the shuffle option to the "..." three dots menu that pops up since Siri clearly uses the old functionality.

Sorry, I had to say it.

Aug 11, 2015 8:18 AM in response to tbmillner

I also had a problem when I tried telling Siri to "Play the Genre Singer/Songwriter Shuffled", and it opened iTunes Radio and started playing a Singer/Songwriter Radio station instead of My Music. I will try your wording and see if I get better results, Thanks!

I kind of miss the display that said song 1 of 32...which told me that it was playing what I thought it was.

Music app iOS 8.4 shuffle genre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.