Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Remove "Love" or Heart Icon in iTunes

In the latest update, iTunes added a "Love" selection to indicate whether or not you like a song a lot. This is terribly illogical; I personally don't keep songs in my Library that I don't like. The heart is appearing over and over, next to the song names, albums, and of course, the columns (this is next to the song name, time, artist, and so forth). The latter can easily be removed using familiar methods.

The heart option, however, does NOT want to go in the other locations. Does anyone know how to remove it?

Thanks!

CubeSmithy

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:29 PM

I think thats what the original post meant by 'familiar methods; but

It still shows:

• to the right of the 'Edit' Icon in the playlist,
  • to the left of the up next in the visualiser

Does anyone know how to remove these?

33 replies

Jul 14, 2015 10:51 AM in response to john warr

@john warr

Actually, it isn't disappointing to discover there. Depending on ToU or EULA, Apple may not have a right to use that information in that capacity. There are limitations on what information you can gather and disseminate with your software. In the interest of keeping that information gathering optional, rather than alter the ToU to say that they can collect info on ratings or play counts, they must have decided to give us a different, optional system- which is great. It means we can still rate our music and know our playcount without having Apple use that info if we so chose, and if we want them to see our preferences we can use the heart info.

No offense intended to you, but this is a good example of why people who have no knowledge about the software world shouldn't make these kind of assumptions and comments. I see Apple and other companies getting trashed for stuff like this all the time, when in reality they are being honest and keeping the best interest of the user in mind.

Jul 14, 2015 6:24 PM in response to Drake B

However the Apple store has a bunch of recommendations of things to buy based on a) what I've purchased before, and b) what happens to be in my library. And the genius thing is building playlists based around my library and the libraries of millions of others too.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/419198/how-itunes-genius-really-works/

So I'm betting that the ToU already gives Apple all the rights they need to analyze our listening habits and the ratings we give things already.

Jul 15, 2015 4:08 PM in response to john warr

Things that you buy they already have access to; that's not what they're asking for with the heart system. They also don't have any access to things you add manually as far as I know. Further, Genius is another completely optional feature, so that's not relevant anyways.

I'm 'betting' I was right in the first place. Apple is smart enough to make informed decisions with their information usage policies. In fact, if you read their privacy policy (citation: https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/ ) any information about your usage must be collected either anonymously (as non-personal information to help them understand general user trends) or voluntarily. Until now, there has been no voluntary system for collecting rating or play count.

So. We're back to what I said originally; Apple didn't have access to this information before, and they're nice enough to give us an optional feature to provide them with that info if we so chose. I chose not to, many people will chose to and will probably benefit from it.

So again; better to do some research and know what you're talking about prior to being "disappointed" in a company due to their completely legitimate and well informed actions.

Jul 16, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Drake B

So where is there something specific to the heart icon? Hmmm! Where is the warning "if you use this specific button you give us the authority to ..." Hmmm!

What you are looking for is the license agreement for iTunes

Consent to Use of Data: You agree that Application Provider may collect and use technical data and related information, including but not limited to technical information about Your device, system and application software, and peripherals, that is gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services to You (if any) related to the Licensed Application. Application Provider may use this information, as long as it is in a form that does not personally identify You, to improve its products or to provide services or technologies to You.

Jul 16, 2015 3:35 PM in response to john warr

It's part of iTunes Music.

Again, perfect example of why people ignorant of privacy policies and information sharing shouldn't comment on this stuff. Technical data is personal data, and can ONLY be taken if specifically included in that paragraph. Technical data means your operating system, system specs, other devices like keyboards, mice, and headphones you have plugged in, and installed software.

That does not include using information on your purchases. Please, be informed prior to slamming companies.

How to Remove "Love" or Heart Icon in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.