Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't transfer Apple Music to iPod Nano

I started Apple Music trial, and I added some songs to My Music library, when I connect my iPod Nano 7g and try to sync. It says that song was not copied to the iPod because it is a subscription item.

It is supposed that I can play them offline, right?

iPod nano, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:00 PM

223 replies

Jan 15, 2017 2:18 AM in response to jsilvamo

I have just noticed this problem and have come across this thread. Very disappointing approach by Apple again. Apple Music and iTunes is pretty poor vs other services anyway, and this just pushed me over the edge and away from Apple - Spotify it is. I wish i would gave seen it in the Apple Music terms - i would have not have bothered with Apple Music at all (and I get it free?!)

Apparently there is an App you can use to update your Nano - Foobar2000 - as for me, i am just going to throw my Nano in the bin and move eco-systems - I am done with Apple.

Had the misfortune of buying the new macbook pro too - i am not winning lately.

Apple, what is going on? You were so good once, innovative, smart, and now, becoming so bad - same old rat race as others pc makers, taking ports away, not giving a touch screen (but a touch bar with strict developer conditions that make it virtually useless) . . . no power light when the Mac charges, and worst of all, the inability to play my purchased music on an Apple Nano - Einsteins - did it take 800 people to come up with that stroke of genius? It is what the Nano is for. As for the iPhone, this will be my last - thanks Google for the Pixel, G-Suite and unlimited photo storage. Thanks Spotify for the Music, and thanks Microsoft for picking up the innovation torch - my next will be a Surface Book and Surface Pro (bye bye iPad).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, advice and opinions on this question - it helped me draw my own conclusion.

Jan 15, 2017 6:10 AM in response to not_for_long

I can understand the sentiment, but not the logic of your decision, because Spotify doesn't support the Nano either. None of the streaming services do.

Also, it isn't true to say you can't listen to music you have PURCHASED from Apple Music on your Nano - you can sync these downloads from iTunes just as in the pre-streaming days. The thing you can't do is sync OFFLINE RENTED music. The reason for pointing this out is to say that you can still use your Nano in the same way you could when you bought it - purchase the music outright and sync it. It bugs me too, but Apple Music hasn't rendered my Nano any LESS usable, it just hasn't made it MORE usable either.

Jan 15, 2017 12:41 PM in response to kmbro

Sorry should have been clearer:

spotify for finding new music (it has a way better interface than Apple Music). Plex for music i own and purchase (and not through itunes), and if i do use my nano (which i won't bother anymore) then i would have used Foobar2000 to transfer music to it.

Plex allows me to use any device i want (except the Nano), synch my music to it and listen offline. Has advanced features as well.

apple has just gone all the wrong ways, and once i wouldn't have considered other ways - but there is more and better ways than apple now.

Jan 15, 2017 12:48 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

having been the owner of a number of previous macbook pro's, i am pretty disappointed in this one.

carrying the adapters around is super annoying - and you never seem to have the one you need when you need it.

battery life is poor - worse than my previous.

the touch bar is useless to me - it only really replaces keyboard shortcuts - i already know those and they are way quicker. in fact, most times i don't even look at the touch bar - it is not that easy to see or use. in fact, the only thing it has done is make me wish i had a touch screen.

also my mouse pointer takes forever to appear on boot up, and i end up having to switch screens to bring it back.

but the real deal breaker is the random freezing up - i have to force reboot (power off) every time to get it back - that is a recipe for disaster.

like i said, i have owned a number of macbook pro's, swore by them, but this one is pretty average.

Jan 15, 2017 12:57 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

ha ha not quite. Apple Music DRM's your library making you have to use iTunes only.

spotify is only for scouting new music.

i now, like i used to, purchase mp3's and can do as i will with them as i own them and i am not restricted by Apple. That means i use them with Plex to host my library and to synch to my devices, and i can use Foobar to place them on my Nano. In thinking, and not to waste the Nano, i will do a one-time dump of music to it and then move on (it is an old 2gb).

in short, i have opted out of apple's eco system for more flexibility, and so that i could use my Nano if i wanted (by being able to move my music across like i used to - but using Foobar and not itunes).

Jan 15, 2017 1:07 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Getting back to the crux of this thread, Apple clearly are capable of writing the code to do offline playlist sync to a small non-iPhone device because you can do it on an Apple Watch. As long as you can afford one, plus the Bluetooth earphones you'll need to listen to music while you're at the gym, out jogging etc.

I hope Apple are keeping an eye on the market because this looks rather good, as long as you have Spotify Premium. It even has a 3.5mm jack socket - revolutionary! - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/51215664/mighty-streaming-music-without-you r-phone. It could almost be the next iPod Shuffle.

Jan 15, 2017 1:14 PM in response to kmbro

kmbro wrote:

Getting back to the crux of this thread, Apple clearly are capable of writing the code to do offline playlist sync to a small non-iPhone device because you can do it on an Apple Watch. As long as you can afford one, plus the Bluetooth earphones you'll need to listen to music while you're at the gym, out jogging etc.

They are also probably capable of building a better smart car than Google. But, until they do, it's not a subject for a technical support forum. Submit your feedback to Apple.

The Kickstarter project you linked to looks interesting enough. If it ever actually happens. Looks like their delivery dates may have slipped. I wouldn't buy one as I don't need another device. My iPhone works quite well with Spotify and it's rare I don't have it with me.

Jun 19, 2017 8:25 PM in response to jsilvamo

This is honestly one of the stupidest policies I have ever heard of. I am paying monthly to subscribe to Apple Music, so this music is my property. I just spent $160 on an iPod nano because it should only make sense that if I'm paying for music on one device, that music can be on every apple device that I own. Now I am told that I am incorrect and am stuck with a useless piece of blue metal that cost me more than a TV, Keurig, and refrigerator combined. I have every intention of walking into an Apple Store tomorrow, demanding a refund and protesting this policy. I genuinely hope that whatever demonic, satanic being created this policy rots in the deep pits of ****.

Jun 20, 2017 1:59 AM in response to niso34

niso34 wrote:

I am paying monthly to subscribe to Apple Music, so this music is my property.

No, all songs remain the property of the copyright holders. You only ever get a limited licence to use. With Apple Music you're paying a subscription to access a huge catalogue of music for as long as your subscription remains active. You can only download such tracks to a device capable of checking the status of your subscription. If it were not thus you could take out a free trial and then download thousands of tracks and keep them forever. The nano is not a secure Internet capable device, so it doesn't support Apple Music.

tt2

Jun 20, 2017 6:25 AM in response to niso34

niso34 wrote:

I just spent $160 on an iPod nano because it should only make sense that if I'm paying for music on one device, that music can be on every apple device that I own. Now I am told that I am incorrect and am stuck with a useless piece of blue metal that cost me more than a TV, Keurig, and refrigerator combined.

Please tell me where I can get a TV, Keurig and refrigerator for $160.

I can't transfer Apple Music to iPod Nano

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.