Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 slow wake on iPad Air 2

After upgrading to iOS 8.4, I noticed that there is a 1-2 second delay before the screen turns on after waking it up. This generally happens if my iPad has been locked for a few minutes and I'm certain that this wasn't present in iOS 8.3. Has anyone else noticed this behavior? I'm going to submit a bug report to Apple, but wanted to reach out to the community first...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:46 PM

iPad Air 2 under iOS 8.4 and wake is instantaneous here, whether from the sleep/wake switch or Smart Cover.

174 replies

Jul 1, 2015 6:05 PM in response to ahwman

I have an iPad Air 2 and my iPad is doing the same thing since I updated to iOS 8.4. It takes just a little longer to wake from sleep no matter which button I use. Like you, it happens when the iPad has been asleep for a few minutes. If I lock it and then unlock it within a few seconds, it works instantly. If I let it sit for a few minutes, then it takes an extra second to wake up.

This did not occur until the update to iOS 8.4.

EDIT - I did just submit a bug report via iPad feedback.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Jul 1, 2015 6:28 PM in response to Demo

I'm on the Air 2 under iOS 8.4 and I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary as far as the time when a button is pressed to when the screen actually comes on, thus my first reply. If there is, it's a pretty subtle difference. Paying more attention just now and letting the device sit for 5 minutes or so, then unlocking it, I think I am seeing it as well but I don't know if I'd consider it a bug or not.

Jul 1, 2015 6:29 PM in response to SergZak

Actually, I noticed it pretty much right after updating yesterday at the office. I use my iPad all day long, but it's not uncommon for it to go to sleep for 10 minutes or longer depending on where my travels take me in the building. The first time I noticed it, I really didn't give any thought to it. But after it happened again and again, I knew that it was responding noticeably slower than it was in iOS 8.3.

IS it a bug? I don't know, but it's sure different than what I was experiencing and I figure it can't hurt to let Apple know about it.

Jul 2, 2015 1:32 AM in response to ahwman

Having the same issue too. Very noticeable lag on wake >.<

On top of that, I am also experiencing lag when I use the multi-tasking gesture (5 finger pinch) to close an app to the home screen. The home screen takes noticeably longer to 'start up' as well. Is anyone else experiencing this? Pressing the home button to close an app does not cause this lag though. Strange...

iOS 8.4 slow wake on iPad Air 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.