Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music / iCloud Music Library - Genius results can't be updated right now. An unknown error occurred (4001)

I'm getting the following error after updating to iTunes 12.2 and attempting to setup Apple Music option (iTunes -> Preferences -> General tab: Check box "iCloud Music Library")

User uploaded file

I turned Genius off in iTunes and the error still occurs.

Precondition: I already setup Apple Music on my iPhone and made a few playlist.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 9:10 PM

The error is that you have over 25,000 songs in your library.

Apple Music will soon have a 100,000 song limit. They are hoping to introduce this in time for iOS 9 (September/October)

24 replies

Jul 6, 2015 6:14 AM in response to David Doukidis

David, is that confirmed by Apple or reliable sources? I remember when Match came out a few years ago and I wasn't able to use it because my library was too big. I assumed Apple would bump up the number at some point, but it never did. I've also never understand why Apple didn't give me the choice to sync up to 25,000 and ignore the rest.

I have over 30,000 songs in two different iTunes libraries on two computers, and now that I have a Family Plan, my kids' libraries will get synced also. Together we'll be pretty close to the 100,000 mark.

Jul 6, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Mark Block

I have over 30,000 songs in two different iTunes libraries on two computers, and now that I have a Family Plan, my kids' libraries will get synced also. Together we'll be pretty close to the 100,000 mark.

With a family plan, each library is completely independent in Apple Music - you can't see each others music. Each user has a separate 25,000 item library limit.

Jul 8, 2015 9:27 AM in response to gwm0811

"The error is that you have over 25,000 songs in your library."

That's not correct. There is a separate dialog for this which explicitly lists the 25,000 song limit.

Also note that the 25,000 song limit only applies to songs that were not purchased from Apple. You can easily have far more than 25,000 songs if you've been buying iTunes albums and collections.

Many people are reporting the 4010 error who did not have the problem before upgrading to iTunes 12.2. Restoring from a backup and staying on the earlier version of iTunes fixes the problem. I don't have any inside knowledge here, but I'd speculate that there's a bug affecting people with large libraries, and that Apple will address this in the next version of iTunes.

Jul 12, 2015 4:28 PM in response to gwm0811

I'm getting the same error (well the same message, but with 4010 instead of 4001)

I do not have over 25,000 tracks (I have a bit over 12,000, though some are from iTunes so wouldn't count against the limit anyway).

The odd thing is that it worked when I first set up Apple Music on this Mac, but at some point all my tracks from Apple Music disappeared and now I get that error whenever I try to set things up again. Everything works fine on both my phone and my iPad, and seemed to be working just fine on my Windows computer at work (I've been on vacation for the past week so we'll see where things are when I get back tomorrow).

This is.. pretty annoying.

Jul 13, 2015 5:28 PM in response to gwm0811

Same exact issue on my late 2013 21.5" iMac. Genius results can't be update right now [error 4010].

Apple Music working fine between iOS devices but can't get it working on the iMac. Funny thing is it show the correct For You info but nothing I've added to my library from my iPhone and won't let me add anything via iTunes for Mac. iTunes Match working fine between iOS and Mac.

Jul 14, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Mark Block

The update also did nothing for me. (And I was always getting the 4010 error, I have yet to get the 4001 error).

As I mentioned above everything works fine on my iOS devices and on my copy of iTunes at work. Now admittedly both of those places I'm pretty much just operating on streaming, my iMac at home is where I keep downloaded copies of my music. I'm wondering if that's part of the issue? Initially things worked (mostly) fine everywhere, Apple Music/iTunes Match (which I have had for years) was able to match/upload my library and everything. At some point it seems like my copy of iTunes at home, where my library lives got disconnected and can't seem to reconnect. Is it possible the issue has to do with the fact that I already have downloads/rips of all my tracks? Like maybe it's seeing those tracks there, seeing I already have them in my iCloud library and getting confused somehow? (I know this shouldn't be an issue, but I'm just looking for possible solutions...).

Jul 14, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Brandonshire

Having the downloaded copies is definitely part of the problem, if your situation is like mine. If you create a new library you can sign in and activate Apple Music and/or iTunes Match just fine. Then if you copy all your downloaded songs back into the newly created library you'll have the 4010 problem again the next time you end up signed out of the iTunes Store and you'll have to re-create your library all over again.

The only real solutions so far are maintaining two libraries - one with local stuff and one with cloud stuff. Or relying on the cloud stuff entirely and just living with Apple periodically removing albums or tracks from the catalog and losing those purchases, and with iTunes Match misidentifying and replacing some tracks with other songs, or with different versions (radio edit vs uncensored, or original vs remastered).

Apple Music / iCloud Music Library - Genius results can't be updated right now. An unknown error occurred (4001)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.