Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shuffle music from an artist using iOS 8.4

I have learned to shuffle all my music and I can shuffle music on an album, but I can't seem to shuffle music from an artist unless I use Siri. Is there a way that I'm missing?

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 6:56 PM

44 replies

Jul 2, 2015 5:28 AM in response to Chuck Strauss

I'm curious to know the answer to this as well.

Under most artists you see the shuffle option directly below their names, but under some I can't for the life of me find the shuffle option.

As an example, I have 2 albums by City and Colour they appear expanded when I click on the artists name in the Artists list and I can shuffle them. If I look under Rise Against of which I have 3 albums the albums appear collapsed and there is no shuffle option. In fact all artists appear expanded except Rise Against.

Jul 4, 2015 1:18 AM in response to Chuck Strauss

I found this and it seems to work:

If you want to play back all music by an artist on your device, tap (touch) the image of the artist that is to the left of the artist's name while you're on the Artist Pane of My Music in the music player. This will start playback of the first track you have from that artist on your device. Then, to have that artist's music shuffled, go to the Now Playing screen and select the shuffle icon to begin shuffling the rest of their music.

Jul 9, 2015 10:00 AM in response to Chuck Strauss

This is bad design from Apple. Two things are annoying here, first of all as you've pointed out the fact that the interface is different depending on how many albums you happen to have in your collection. Confusing.

Secondly, Apple's seemingly unending habit of removing functionality following an "upgrade" is extremely frustrating, and it seems to have struck again here. This is very poor, and I would expect better from Apple. I've also noticed that the "radio" and "connect" functions are on the main screen whether you like it or not, again this is something you used to be able to customise but can no longer do. Feels to me like an example of Apple trying to ram a service down your throat, which I personally find quite irritating.

Jul 15, 2015 10:34 PM in response to Chuck Strauss

You can shuffle from any option. Select album, artist, or even songs. The shuffle from there. To shuffle the full library choose Songs in the drop down and then just select a song to start from. Once it starts go to the. Ow playing screen and make sure the shuffle option is on. This will shuffle through it all for you by song. It's an extra step or two but so far I like this way much better. Before it would always start with the same song and the mixture never varied much for me despite having a huge library. This way so far it's great because so far. Hope that helps out, I didn't read all the responses so sorry if someone else mentioned this already just wanted to share incase they had not 🙂

Jul 16, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Chuck Strauss

Like others have mentioned, this method works great if you only have 2 or less albums of a specific artist. If you have 3 or more albums, then it only shuffles songs on whichever album you have selected. For example, I have every Van Halen album on my phone. If I select "Panama" from 1984 for the first song to shuffle with, it will only shuffle songs on 1984. It won't select any other albums. When that album is finished, it stops. Junk. Not a fan at all.

Jul 24, 2015 11:56 AM in response to Chuck Strauss

I can no longer search by tune. As a professional I like to study different performers performances of a given tune. It defaults to only search by artist or album. I go to songs and type a title into search and it goes to an artist or album of a similar name which has nothing to do with the tune, they do not even perform the tune I am researching. Also the format of the player is so different from what it was it nearly needs instructions on how to use it. How many years have we used this tool for these tools at Apple to Jack It Up? I get so ****** with the upgrades I am seriously considering firing Apple to look for an entirely different music play back system and trading this over priced iPhone in for two or three other devices that do the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

Furthermore this new iPhone will not properly synch with my new computer. For over a decade I used my previous iPhone to synch with my computer and Outlook for contacts and calendar. Now I can synch from the computer to the iPhone but any changes I make on the iPhone on the fly do not synch back to the computer. I get an unknown error popup that says it will not synch. However it does to the extent I have described.

Also I am asked if I trust this computer. I have been made to authenticate online when often I do not have access to the Internet and work offline a great deal. If I use one computer and I use one iPhone why on earth do they not recognize each other after dozens, possibly hundreds of syncs?

I want to work not sort through Apple's extreme lack of customer care.

Jul 26, 2015 10:00 PM in response to Chuck Strauss

This 8.4 redesin of the Music app is junk. This garbage keeps up I'm making the jump. Already swithced off iPad because we still have no multiuser capability. Really fedup with Apple the last few years.

Quit cramming your subscription services down my throat. I've already paid way too much for digital content. QUIT RESTRICTING MY ABILITY TO USE IT!!!!

Jul 27, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Karlifornia

It works. Read carefully these steps:

1. Go to My Music
  2. Choose Artists view (if not set to Artists yet)
  3. Scroll down to desired artist
  4. Now tap NOT LABEL WITH ARTIST NAME BUT ICON (square image) on the left
  5. Music starts playing, so open bottom player-bar to enter full screen player mode
  6. On the bottom enable Shuffle (known crossed-arrows icon)

In fact: on every view type, if you tap square icon it will start the whole music for the position, so it works for Artists, Lists, Genres etc.

It is the new method in the new Music app and very important to "lern". However it is easy and usable in every day usage (in car, at home etc.).

Jul 27, 2015 11:13 AM in response to TomekOsiowy

It is not easier! The previous "shuffle all" button was much larger making it easier to use while driving. The new design flat out stinks. It's going to cause safety issues and possibly cause accidents.

It also doesn't work with some USB controlled devices to shuffle any longer. For instance it is now broken from the dash controls of my 2012 GMC Terrain

Shuffle music from an artist using iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.