Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 12.2 will not connect to update server

I am getting this error message if I check for an update manually. I've repaired the install and restarted the computer. I even downloaded 12.2 from the Apple site and ran the install again - it only allows repair or uninstall. There is no reinstall option. I'm running Windows 7 64bit OS.

Then I tried to run the diagnostics and selected only the Network test and it crashes iTunes each and every time. Not sure what's up with all this. Is it a problem on Apple's end or my end. iTunes worked fine on 12.1. Using check for updates is how I got to 12.2 in the first place. But now nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 6:53 AM

I also am experiencing this. when I try and check for an update manually I get the message that itunes cannot connnect to the server. I tried using my home ISP and my verizon hotspot and neither one could connect so I think it is an itunes issue. Problem started after upgrading to 12.2.

21 replies

Jul 5, 2015 6:58 AM in response to Gator5000e

I have same problem on Windows 8.1 Also song titles are vanishing. Allbum artwork remains, but all titles vanish. Seems Apple decided to make Itunes totally unuseable.. WHY?????? Maybe they switched off their servers cause they realized that it was sending out an update that is destroying Itunes. Either way, for now Itunes does not exist for me. Maybe if they fix the problem i may be able to return.

Jul 5, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Gator5000e

I didn't think I had a problem, but checking for an update shows me I have the same problem as the poster describes. If this can't be fixed from their end, and we can't update....I can see us getting an email asking to download the installer and doing a full uninstall\reinstall. With the bugginess of this software, that's pretty scary.

Jul 5, 2015 7:35 PM in response to Gator5000e

I am having that exact same issue. I am running Windows 7 home premium 64bit OS as well. I think we can sit tight and wait till they come back with another update to fix the error problems. So frustrating though. I even went back and restored my computer and had to redownload iTunes and still have the same problem trying to check for the manual update. I ran the diagnostic tool iTunes has and it passed with it all in the green. So that leads me to think it's on their end or it's a Microsoft update that messed it up.

Jul 9, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Gator5000e

I Too have the new iTunes. I did an install, then a reinstall to see if I could fix the error. In iTunes, if I go to "HELP", the go to "CHECK FOR UPDATES, all I ever get is the message that says "The iTunes update server could not be contacted". The manual check for updates using this iTunes suggested method, does not work, and only ends up with the message that "iTunes cannot connect to their update server". Sounds like an iTunes issue with the new version? Anyone getting anywhere with iTunes responding or replying, or coming up with a fix?

Jul 11, 2015 6:43 AM in response to Bill-Taylor

The issue that those who've already updated to 12.2 are seeing this when selecting Help > Check for Updates:

User uploaded file

rather than the expected confirmation that they have the current version. It's been reported in at least one other thread that Apple have acknowledged the problem and are working on a fix, but have not stated whether the issue is client-side (so will not be addressed until the next update to iTunes is released) or server-side. Users running 12.1.2 or earlier are seeing the correct* message (i.e., that the 12.2 update is available) there's clearly something specific to the 12.2.0.145 build.

* "correct" in a very loose sense, since those running earlier versions of iTunes on Windows XP and Vista are being told that 12.2 is available and prompted to download the update even though it is not compatible with and will not install on their systems.

Jul 13, 2015 4:45 AM in response to hhgttg27

This is really awkward. I am repairing a client's PC and have to hand it over with this issue. How is Apple going to push a fix if the auto update feature is dead? I have to remind the client to manually download iTunes? If he doesn't, he is going to end up with a vulnerable iTunes client.

Ok - off to check my own PC!

itunes 12.2 will not connect to update server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.