Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I use Touch ID for things like iTunes purchases and my banking app AND have no passcode to unlock my phone?

Why can't I use Touch ID for things like iTunes purchases and my banking app AND have no passcode to unlock my phone?

I want to be able to unlock my phone without using Touch ID, without typing in a password, and without typing in a passcode - I prefer to be able to get into my phone as fast as possible. But I would also like to log into my banking app and approve purchases in iTunes using Touch ID - again, this would be the fastest possible option.

In the Touch ID & Passcode settings, if you "Turn Passcode Off", this automatically turns off "iTunes & App Store", why? Why are these two linked at all?

I'm assuming that the option to use Touch ID in third party apps is controlled by the "iTunes & App Store" setting.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply
8 replies

Jul 2, 2015 5:02 PM in response to DrunkTankGunner

There is no solution because it is an incredibly stupid thing to do. If you have no passcode on your phone WHEN it is lost or stolen your whole life will be exposed and for sale. As you must press a button to unlock the phone, using a registered finger on the HOME button is no slower than pressing the HOME button with Touch ID off. So I don't buy your argument about it being faster to not have Touch ID.

Jul 2, 2015 5:16 PM in response to DrunkTankGunner

DrunkTankGunner wrote:

I want to be able to unlock my phone without using Touch ID, without typing in a password, and without typing in a passcode - I prefer to be able to get into my phone as fast as possible.

I find TouchID to be as fast, possibly faster than swiping to unlock. It's also easier as it can be done without looking at the screen.

Jul 2, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

My phone is basically attached to me and is very rarely in a situation where it could be stolen. I also have a significant number of options to wipe and track my phone remotely. I accept the risks and choose efficiency over security. Sometimes I don't want to unlock my phone, sometimes I just want to check the notifications. Sometimes I use said notifications to unlock my phone, which isn't possible to with a passcode in place. You're incorrect, using the Touch ID to unlock the phone is in fact noticeably slower.
I'm not interested in your insults or rejections of my premise, I'm interested in solutions.
I would rather never use Touch ID than put a passcode on my phone. So allowing me to protect certain apps and functionality from being used without my Touch ID would actually improve the security of my phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.