Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari updates

Trying to update my Safari browser with no success. Netflix has said it is necessary.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 4:13 PM

4 replies

Feb 22, 2016 6:57 AM in response to cuboEML

If your iMac is an early 2008, you can install El Capitan.

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) model number 7,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed

2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)

8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

You might want to upgrade your RAM. The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the RAM. OWC has also tested RAM above what Apple states is the maximum. I now have 6GB installed on a early 2008 iMac supposedly limited to 4 GB and noticed an improvement.

Crucial

Other World Computing

Safari updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.