Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Connection but No Sound After iOS 8.4 Update

After updating iPhone 6 to iOS 8.4, it pairs with 'Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker' but no sound comes out. Prior to the update there were no issues. I am still able to pair an iPad with iOS 8.3 to the speaker and play music without any problems.

Another difference: When I pair an iOS 8.3 device I have volume control on that Apple device, but when pairing an iOS 8.4 device the volume control bar is not visible.

I already tried restarting the phone.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 10:20 PM

Interestingly, it looks like it's the Bose unit that's stuck (possibly after being turned into a zombie by iOS 8.4 via bluetooth).

Annoyed by the bluetooth glitch, I plugged an audio jack in the AUX port on the Bose unit, but no audio came out. It looked like the Bose unit wasn't capable of producing audio anymore.

I reset the unit by long-pressing the MUTE button (hold it a couple of seconds.. it's more seconds than you expect, so don't give up). When all the leds start flashing rapidly, you can let go.

After this reset procedure, my unit restarted with a zero volume setting; I just needed to press the [+] button to raise the volume and now everything is working again, even via bluetooth.

I never liked Bluetooth as a technology because while it's supposedly handy, it's terribly flaky, either by design or because of poor manufacturer implementations — I don't know. Somehow, Apple and Bose really don't match very well over bluetooth. My experience with the Bose Soundlink and my rmbp is maddening.

And Bose's firmware update software is malfunctioning crapware.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2015 10:20 PM in response to dcbrackett

Interestingly, it looks like it's the Bose unit that's stuck (possibly after being turned into a zombie by iOS 8.4 via bluetooth).

Annoyed by the bluetooth glitch, I plugged an audio jack in the AUX port on the Bose unit, but no audio came out. It looked like the Bose unit wasn't capable of producing audio anymore.

I reset the unit by long-pressing the MUTE button (hold it a couple of seconds.. it's more seconds than you expect, so don't give up). When all the leds start flashing rapidly, you can let go.

After this reset procedure, my unit restarted with a zero volume setting; I just needed to press the [+] button to raise the volume and now everything is working again, even via bluetooth.

I never liked Bluetooth as a technology because while it's supposedly handy, it's terribly flaky, either by design or because of poor manufacturer implementations — I don't know. Somehow, Apple and Bose really don't match very well over bluetooth. My experience with the Bose Soundlink and my rmbp is maddening.

And Bose's firmware update software is malfunctioning crapware.

Feb 17, 2017 3:42 PM in response to marcantoniom

Hi there

Thank you for the suggestions. I have tried them all and nothing is working for me. I have an iPhone 6 and the Bluetooth was working great with your nose headphones until it wasn't. Same description of the issue, connected and appears to play, but no sound. I have disconnected, unpaired, repaired, turn off and on, called the bose support line...nothing seems to work.

I have OS 10.2.1 on my phone and it says it's up to date.

Any help would be great!

May 28, 2017 9:25 PM in response to marcantoniom

Thanks for the advice, worked fine, in addition to your helpful suggestion of 'it's more seconds than you expect, so don't give up', I'd give the same advice on the volume, it takes a good 5-6 presses of the volume + button before sound was heard. I have two iPhone 6s, and a Macbook pro, the work iPhone (6) had no issue, likewise the Macbook, so I believed it to be my personal iPhone(6+).

I'd given up until I followed marcantoniom suggestion, so Thank you.

Jul 17, 2015 12:15 AM in response to dcbrackett

Hi,

I'm facing me too strange issues with Bluetooth after upgrading my 4S to iOS 8.4

In details:

Before the update I daily used to connect my iPhone to the car Bluetooth without any sort of problem but then...sbaaaaaaaam everything stopped from working

I tried to reset network settings, i tried to "forget" Bluetooth devices, I tried to reset Bluetooth car configuration, I tried to hard reset the phone, I tried to reset overall settings, but the result is still the same: nothing plus nothing (that equals nothing); the Bluetooth just seems not to be able to discover and reach other Bluetooth devices (even the Bluetooth headphones I've always used)

In addiction i'm facing issues even with wireless, 3G, and Apple Store downloads and a series of applications crashes (but all this is off topic so i'm not going to talk about it)

Any suggestions? Apart from trying desperately to downgrade to 8.3?😠

Many thanks

Regards

Bluetooth Connection but No Sound After iOS 8.4 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.