Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded iPad to latest IOS. My PDF's from folders are also in PDF folder. Why??

Yesterday, I upgraded my iPad to the latest IOS. I have over 1,000 PDF's in iBooks. The PDF's were organized into folders. Following the update all the PDF's from the folders have been copied into the folder PDF. They also remain in their original folder.. When I delete a document from PDF folder, it also deletes it in the original folder. I really need to have these documents organized properly. New documents are always added to the PDF folder. Now I have a difficult time separating the new documents from the ones already organized into folders. Why is iBooks doing this? How can I change it back so they are only in their original folder and not doubled into the PDF folder also? Thanks,

Jeff

iPad Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 12:32 PM

That appears to be how Apple have designed in iOS 8.4 - but they aren't separate copies, the PDFs collection is just a way to view all of your PDFs in the one place instead of searching through your other collections, so if you delete a PDF from the PDFs or your collection then as it's the one copy it will be deleted from both.

In terms of changing it back you can't. To leave feedback for Apple : http://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks_ios.html

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 12:32 PM in response to AlbanyJeffro

That appears to be how Apple have designed in iOS 8.4 - but they aren't separate copies, the PDFs collection is just a way to view all of your PDFs in the one place instead of searching through your other collections, so if you delete a PDF from the PDFs or your collection then as it's the one copy it will be deleted from both.

In terms of changing it back you can't. To leave feedback for Apple : http://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks_ios.html

Jul 5, 2015 4:48 AM in response to AlbanyJeffro

Posted about the same issue here: iOS 8.4: iBooks PDF's Displays All Collection Items

I'm not so sure it's "by-design" as EPUB's that first appear under Books Collection are moved (aka omitted from Books view) when the EPUB is moved to a Collection (folder).

This "new design" makes it virtually impossible for avid Collection classifiers to know which PDF's haven't been moved to a respective Collection on large libraries. Would have been helpful to have an option to enable the hiding of PDF's that have been moved from the PDF's Collection once they are moved to a Collection - so that they only appear in the Collection they were moved to.

Regards,

Jul 8, 2015 3:34 AM in response to AlbanyJeffro

I have the same problem. A had a dozen or so of PDF's that used to have out of any collection in the PDF's section, and now they are LOST among hundred of PDF's that have a collection. There is no way of knowing which PDF's don't have a collection, those without a collection were there to know that they were new to me or to remember me to read them before put them in a collection... Now I can't tell which PDF's where those I had separated. 😟

Upgraded iPad to latest IOS. My PDF's from folders are also in PDF folder. Why??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.