Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sweat damage to iPhone 6

I Recently had to have my brand new iPhone 6 replaced because of "water damage". As I have done in the past with all of my prior iPhones, I went jogging with my new iphone6 using a Belkin arm band case. I returned from my run to find my iPhone dead (blank screen). After sending it to Apple for repairs, they indicated that the phone had sustained "water damage" which falls outside of warrantied repair. I then had to pay $300 for a new phone. I find it distressing that this highly sophisticated and expensive device would be so susceptible to this degree of moisture. I don't even sweat that much. I use my phone for music, exercise apps and to keep in touch when I run. I was wondering if other users have had a similar experience and I'm not sure whether I should use the phone when I exercise again.

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:55 AM

23 replies

Jul 6, 2015 8:48 AM in response to lyall

I Had to take my iPhone 6 in today, only had it 1 month,I had mine in my pocket and it was a hot day so I was sweatin. I turned it off, went to turn it back on and nothing. I use mine for excersise as well. And never had a issue. I've also had other issues with my phone. I blew through 6Gs of data in 3 weeks, on my 4s before I upgraded I barely touched 1g... Something's not right. I find it disheartening that you fork out a large some of money to get this phone then because its sensitive and crashes we have to pay another 490.00 to get a new phone. It's not fair.

Sep 4, 2015 4:30 AM in response to JessiM12

Same here.

A month a go, first run with my iphone 6 in my armband, the way i did it with my old Iphone 5. the touchscreen did not for few minutes. Second times, the touchscreen never responded again even after threee weeks off. I took it to the genius bar and changed it without even any repairs.

Tried a new run with the new iphone. The touchscreen got blocked again just for the night.

Now I'm afraid to use it again, even in a ziplock bag, i fear the heat of my body + sun + gps turned on makes condensations again in it.

Very disapointed about this, it used to be okay with the old iphone, and this device is expensive enough and should support being used in wet and warm atmosphere. The device is sold to make exercice with it (even if you buy an apple watch, you need a phone for the gps): apps, the new musci app suggesting "running playlists". 😠

Nov 3, 2015 12:13 AM in response to lyall

my iPhone 6 started playing up so I had it sent off by o2 under warrant. They told me it was water damaged and I couldn't understand why until I thought back to when the problem started. It was at the gym. I have used armbands for my iPhone since owning the original iPhon. This is my 5th. I've never had an issue with moisture in or on the iPhone due to exercise. Yes I sweat. the ads encourage using the iPhone during workouts. It is part of the benefit packag. o2 are not interested so I am going to the Apple Store genius bar on Monday. The phone is still in warranty so we will see. Totall agree with your sentiment. This will be a growing issue that Apple will have to deal with or else losing customers in droves. I was thinking about getting an Apple Watch but not now.

Dec 8, 2015 4:02 AM in response to lyall

I had the same issue. I had my iphone 4 for years and ran with it without problem. I had the 6 for 6 months and the touch screen went all wacky to which I was told was water damage.

To Apple's credit they gave me a discounted rate for a new phone (~$300 usd) and a free ($100 usd) waterproof case. But I totally agree, it shouldn't have fallen apart so easily.

May 2, 2016 5:48 PM in response to mcphatlc

I have the same issue. Have had the 4 for years with no issues. Took my 6s out for a run (in protected arm band) and an hour later no screen.

Took it to the genius bar and was told water damage, from prolonged exposure. Not sure how, considering I've only run with it twice now and only had it 4 months (still used by old phone for running until last week).

Has anyone gotten anywhere with them owning up to the design flaw?

I'm not going to pay $300 and am now looking to switch to a different phone.

I'm not going to keep throwing good money after bad.

May 2, 2016 8:08 PM in response to BobDubeTolland

There is no design flaw but the iPhone is not water resistant and makes no claims that it is. While you may have had luck with the iPhone 4 the larger size of the 6, may place it where perspiration is getting in or the case you are using with it is not as good as the one you had with the iPhone 4. This thread you added to covers different models of iPhone so this is not something that appeared on the 6s.

If you go with one of the other phones on the market make sure you select the model that is water resistant (it costs more) and keep in mind it is water resistant, not water proof so wipe it off as soon as you finish and get a good case. Perspiration has salt and other minerals and will damage any small electronics that it finds its way into.

May 3, 2016 3:56 AM in response to deggie

I understand that and took, what I thought was the necessary steps to ensure it kept free of moisture. I had the appropriate arm band and cleaned it after each use. I guess that's, what I feel and would describe as a flaw in design. If you manufacture a piece of equipment, that performed, under similar circumstances with no issue, then develop new models of the same device, I would expect the core integrity of the hardware to stay the same.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm looking at this as an expensive lesson learned and will certainly be more circumspect when considering my next phone and the intended usage.

May 3, 2016 8:50 AM in response to BobDubeTolland

Also keep this in mind when you buy your next case. Most likely in your case the perspiration got into your phone either through the headphone jack (assuming you were using Bluetooth headphones) or the Lightning port. Make sure your case has a watertight seal over these two areas. Too many of the armbands I've seen do not do this and in effect become storage containers for sweat at the bottom of the iPhone. Since current phones are larger the larger case catches even more perspiration and funnels it to the bottom. I buy plastic plugs for the headphone jack and charging connector for all my devices, not hard to find them for any type of device on the internet.

Jun 8, 2016 6:51 AM in response to lyall

I had to pay a 300.00 repair for a phone that is water/liquid damaged. The only possiblity would be sweat from using it during my runs. I have no issue saying that I sweat after a long run. Here is my view. If you make a product that costs 799.00 and it can not withstand moisture due to exercise perpetration inside of an armband, you have a poorly deigned product. You'll never convince me that "it's not water resistant" is a conceiva position given the popularity of iPhone and the number of people that use it during exercise.

That is a poorly thought out design.

Jun 8, 2016 7:12 AM in response to schwa99x

Considering Apple never actually designed it with exercise in mind and did not include any water resistance measures nor make any claim whatsoever that it is water resistant how is this a poorly thought out design. That is like saying a Corvette is a poorly thought out design because it get stuck in the mud when taken off-roading. There are articles saying the next iPhone may be water resistant but that is just speculation.

But how about the armband you were using? Does it claim to be water resistant? If yes you might want to have a conversation with them about their design. And you might want to look around the internet and find inserts for the Lightning port and headphone jack. They are available.

Jun 8, 2016 7:20 AM in response to schwa99x

schwa99x wrote:

You'll never convince me that "it's not water resistant" is a conceiva position given the popularity of iPhone and the number of people that use it during exercise.

I would think the fact that it sustained liquid damage would convince you it's not water resistant. But, we don't need to convince you of anything. The fact is the iPhone is NOT water resistant. If you persist in believing it is, you're going to continue to have problems.

Jun 8, 2016 9:42 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

WOW. Such helpful Apple community support. Thank you for your insights. I am overwhelmed AND have completely changed my mind. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's a WONDERFUL product and I can't imagine why the previously four phones didn't have the same issue under EXACT conditions. Again, I appreciate you showing me the error of viewpoint. O_o

Sweat damage to iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.