Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playback automatically pauses on iPhone 6

I commute to work each day and pass through many different service areas. Sometimes I am on LTE, sometimes it drops to 3G, and there is two spots where I don't have service. Which is all fine and dandy and has never been an issue when I was streaming from Spotify. However, since testing on Apple Music, I have noticed that when I go through any of these areas where my connection changes, Apple Music pauses. I have to hit play to resume playback. My music is all offline, so I am not streaming. I have even done additional testing with Apple Music playing, I switch my phone to airplane mode, music continues to stream, but when I turn it back on and it picks up a signal, it pauses the music again.

Has anyone had similar issues or a fix for this issue?

Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 6:48 AM

Looks like even though I am wanting to play my music offline, I have to allow Apple Music to cellular data for it to work properly. So in Settings>Cellular the Music application has to be enabled(set to green). This will prevent it from pausing during playback as you travel through different network connections.

Not a great solution since I didn't want to allow it to use cellular data, but so far doesn't look like it is transferring that much data. Since turning it on, it has used 2 mb in 3 hours of offline playback.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 6:48 AM in response to DustandFe

Looks like even though I am wanting to play my music offline, I have to allow Apple Music to cellular data for it to work properly. So in Settings>Cellular the Music application has to be enabled(set to green). This will prevent it from pausing during playback as you travel through different network connections.

Not a great solution since I didn't want to allow it to use cellular data, but so far doesn't look like it is transferring that much data. Since turning it on, it has used 2 mb in 3 hours of offline playback.

Jul 23, 2015 10:44 AM in response to DustandFe

I don't think it's cellular data, I have mine set to off always and never have an issue listening to "saved for offline" but even with the music that I own, that I ripped from my own CDs will pause at random times, I'm sitting at my desk at work with listening to an album of mine and all of a sudden...pause. So I don't think that it has anything to do with cellular data.

Aug 19, 2015 8:02 AM in response to DustandFe

I had the same problem, and after reading a lot about this glitch, I called Apple Support and talked to a senior guy after dealing with someone who had no clue. He asked me to reinitilallize the iPhone like a new one, (then to restore it using a back-up) and upgrade it to 8.4.1 and now, the playback doesn't stop anymore when cellular signal comes back in the subway.

Aug 19, 2015 8:31 AM in response to chrysbar

Again, I am happy this worked for you but to make users delete everything and reinstall is a crap solution. This can (and appears to have been) be fixed with a software update, no need to have to spend 3 hours loading your music back because AAPL won't fix a bug. For the record, after the latest update this seems to be fixed with the last software update.

Aug 20, 2015 6:27 AM in response to cpfusco

Well, I concluded too fast apparently! It did it again: curiously, it happens when I'm in the subway (where there is no cell signal) and when I arrive at the central station where a cell signal becomes available, that's where the music pauses; but when I get to the station where I go out, when the cell signal comes back, there is no interruption!!! I don't understand that at all!

Sep 4, 2015 12:44 PM in response to Kennokent

It seems that writing in these Support Communities doesn't change anything. I called Customer Sercice, and since then, I have been in contact with a regular service person, who transferred me to a senior adviser who talked to me at least 6 or 7 times, (he told me that this was a new problem, even if I told him that many peole posted very similar situations on the Apple Support Communities)and now I am in contact with an engineer at Apple in California who is taking care of the situation. I strongly suggest that you call customer Service so they will know it's not just a few isolated guys like me who are making things up.

Playback automatically pauses on iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.