Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs checked "Skip when shuffling" play on shuffle in iOS8.4

Hi,

since the upgrade, songs that I have checked as "Skip when shuffling" in my iTunes library play on shuffle in the music app on my iPhone. I have a rather big library and use the feature very often, however don't want to be listening to certain songs when doing so.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 5:05 AM

16 replies

Jul 13, 2015 1:19 PM in response to etocht

I have the same problem too. The day this update came out, I noticed it and called Apple right away about it. The clown on the other end of the phone basically laughed it off and didn't really seem to care. I think this is their way of trying to get us to forsake our own libraries and use their lousy pay service so we can be charged again for what we already own. Don't fall for it.

Aug 18, 2015 12:57 PM in response to ademirk

Try making a Smart play list on in iTunes on your Mac/Windows computer that is set up to use the iCloud Music Library as your iOS devices (so the playlist will sync.) Set up the Smart playlist to exclude all unchecked songs/items - do this because I don't want to listen to my wife's artists/albums. Then you can shuffle that playlist on your devices and you won't hear the songs you don't wish to "shuffle".

Aug 20, 2015 8:14 AM in response to swandy

Hi Swandy,

Smart playlist is just a work around, for this bug, because there's not always a easy way to define does music you will not play, that's not always from a artist, album, or any available choice, that's why the option "Skip when shuffling" exist. How this stop work on IOS 8.4 it's a bug in IOS, or feature loss.

Sep 27, 2015 5:29 PM in response to etocht

Hi,

This is still an ongoing problem in iOS9.0. Its so annoying they haven't fixed this as yet - I dont want to skip these songs manually while I'm driving in my car. Theres also the fact that shuffle does not " re index " shuffle order of songs so the shuffle purpose is lost ( no surprise what song will be next in the shuffle list) . Boring way to create shuffles but that's a separate issue I suppose...

Oct 16, 2015 2:22 PM in response to etocht

I have been dealing with this for about 2 mos as well - ever since I did the upgrade! For 6 weeks I was back and forth with apple supposrt on the phone and they finally agreed to send me a new phone - guess what? IT STILL PLAYS THE SONGS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SKIPPED!!!!! UUGGGHHH!!!

They told me I really had the engineer team baffled on this one - guess they need to keep working until they can find the problem. Frustrating when you are shuffling and Christmas songs come on in the off season!

Oct 16, 2015 3:32 PM in response to scrubrnmom

IM glad to hear that someone actually spoke to Apple about this issue. I'm running the 5th version of the most recent Beta iOS and it still isn't fixed. I report it after each upgrade to no avail. It's getting pretty tiresome. The very foundation this phone was built on (music) does not work like it's supposed to. Shame on Apple for not making this somewhat of a priority.

Oct 26, 2015 11:32 AM in response to etocht

It is still not working properly with iOS 9.02. Songs marked "Skip when shuffling" are still being played on my iPhone 6 Music app when I am shuffling songs. This greatly reduces my satisfaction as a user. I'm letting my friends know about this bug to save them some frustration. iPhone Music and iTunes don't work together seamlessly. This is a bug that should be fixed. It ruins the intuitive user experience. Please fix it so that it just works. Thanks.

Oct 26, 2015 11:56 AM in response to Blues Harp Sharky

I ended up having to check all the songs except those I didn't want played in the shuffle - and then when you go down at the bottom of iTunes where your phone summary is - check the box that says sync only checked songs and that worked - but a pain because it takes awhile to uncheck them and you can't select multiple songs at one time - not good!

Songs checked "Skip when shuffling" play on shuffle in iOS8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.