Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Shuffle All Songs' feature gone on iOS 8.4

So I just updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 8.4. The 'shuffle all songs' feature is gone! So if you're like me, I work hard at organizing my music each time I add a new CD or purchase on iTunes. I go to 'options' on each song and check or leave blank 'skip when shuffling' option based on what songs I want to hear when I shuffle all of my music. I have over 3500 songs on my iPhone, but shuffle a little over 1000.

So how do I shuffle all of my music? Thanks to the trusty internet, I found two ways:

1. Select a song, play it, and make sure the shuffle icon at the bottom of the screen is selected. The problem here is I really don't want to have to sort through 3500 songs to find a starting point. I really like the randomness of letting my phone select the first played song.

2. Tell Siri to 'shuffle my songs.' Guess I'll have to go with this method since the option to shuffle my music manually is gone. 😢

Here's to hoping that Apple will take notice that being able to manually start a shuffle session is important to users.

Shawn

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 11:37 AM

Ok, now that I've used it for a bit I have a question:

Each song I have in iTunes I have gone to 'get info' and selected 'options'. I've checked the box 'skip when shuffling' on the songs that I don't want to hear when I shuffle my music (as described above). Those songs play regardless if I have the box checked or not. Why is this happening? Did Apple disable the 'skip when shuffling' option? VERY disappointed. Having this feature is the MAIN reason I like using iTunes via my iPhone 6. Without it, I'm reduced to going through my entire 3500+ song library and build a playlist if I want to keep using my iPhone. That is not a viable option.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Shawn

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 11:37 AM in response to fireman535

Ok, now that I've used it for a bit I have a question:

Each song I have in iTunes I have gone to 'get info' and selected 'options'. I've checked the box 'skip when shuffling' on the songs that I don't want to hear when I shuffle my music (as described above). Those songs play regardless if I have the box checked or not. Why is this happening? Did Apple disable the 'skip when shuffling' option? VERY disappointed. Having this feature is the MAIN reason I like using iTunes via my iPhone 6. Without it, I'm reduced to going through my entire 3500+ song library and build a playlist if I want to keep using my iPhone. That is not a viable option.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Shawn

Jul 8, 2015 10:32 PM in response to fireman535

When you sync your phone with iTunes, go to the Options section on the Summary page. Under that heading check "Sync only checked songs and videos". Of course, you must go into your music section while your phone is plugged in to iTunes and manually check each album/artist you want to appear on your phone. It's well worth the time to have control of the music I hear on my phone.

Jul 9, 2015 2:38 PM in response to fireman535

Hey Fireman,

Just an idea really, not the overall solution but have you tried making a smart playlist within iTunes of your selected tracks?

Once it syncs with the device you only have to hit the bar on top of the playlist to shuffle all the songs...

The music app on your phone is now merely an extension of your library...

Go ahead, continue to select tunes to skip while shuffling but let your Smart Playlists do the work to filtering them out and then you only have to hit that Shuffle button on the playlist in your iPhone 6...

i know you like it random so this works, no? 🙂

Jul 9, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Bryan1985

Yo,

Follow these directions and you will fix your problem, I had the same trouble but figured it out...

Go to your music Library, and click the word with a down arrow next to it in red between the grey lines. When you click the it you will get all of the following options: Artists, Albums, Songs, Genre... etc. click songs then you can swipe up on and click the shuffle button below.

Jul 9, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Bryan1985

Hey Bryan,

From the op the first thing i can see that needs fixing is the need to randomly start a playlist without pressing a button.

The second being to avoid all those songs you want to skip while shuffling.

The first one i have addressed very simply.

The second, while i realize Smart Playlists don't immediately offer options to remove songs you have selected to skip while shuffling, it does offer a myriad of other options for making lists to quench your desires while in your truck/on your bike/in the shower 🙂

After 8 years, surely your library has other metadata you can use to curate these list for you?

I fully understand this isn't ideal, Just giving some options. Leave this as unresolved and let Apple worry about some of the other features that are more broken than this 😝

Jul 12, 2015 4:13 AM in response to Apple_Aficionado

Apple_Aficionado's reply worked. I can now shuffle all songs across the entire library. In an effort to be more clear, the place to start is My Music. At the top row of the screen, I see a red profile head icon, then "My Music", then a search icon. Below that is a "RECENTLY ADDED" section. Below that is a red heading which will say "Albums" by default, followed immediately by a red down arrow. Click this word/down arrow to get the list of display options. When you select "Songs", shuffling will be across the entire library. Good luck!

'Shuffle All Songs' feature gone on iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.