Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repost of discussion from wrong area

I am attempting to create a template for a work in progress situation whereby the template book would contain several different sheets using page format that have already been defined in existing spreadsheets.

I do not quite understand the "New" terminology of wording from previous AppleWorks and Excel wordings. What I am referring to here is after a spreadsheet is completely formatted, i.e. columns sized, rows sized, fonts selected, font size selected, formulas entered, etc. etc. etc., to what this is now called, or even if there is any such thing.

Basically, what I want to do is get the complete format of an existing document page and add that as a sheet into a book that will become a template of a book of sheets.

I have posted something similar to this over the years and have as yet to discover, to my satisfaction, what this is now called and if it is even possible to even program this capability into the new Pages.

Any Ideas?

Sparkgapper

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), DualBoot with Snow Leopard

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 5:48 AM

8 replies

Jul 7, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Hi Sparkgapper,

I saw your discussion on the Pages for Mac forum. Add pages to a spreadsheet book using previous perameters

Welcome to the Numbers for Mac forum 🙂.

In Numbers, you have a Document (file, or 'workbook' in the Excel world)

Each Document (in Numbers) can have one or more Sheets.

Each Sheet has a "canvas" (blank area).

On each Sheet, you can place "objects" such as tables, graphs, text boxes or Shapes.

You can create a Numbers document (file) and Menu > File > Save as Template for future use.

If you want to add that table to other Sheets,

In Numbers '09 (Numbers 2) click on the table icon in the left panel

User uploaded file

That will select the whole table.

Menu > Edit Copy. That will copy the whole table.

Now insert another Sheet. Click on the Sheet icon. That inserts another Sheet with a default table (Sheet 2, Table 1).

User uploaded file

You can delete the default table and Paste your own table onto the canvas.

I hope this makes sense.

Please call back with questions. There are many helpful users in this forum.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 7, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Yellowbox

I just discovered partially what I am looking for and a workaround to achieve what I need.

Basically (in the new terminology as I see it), a BOOK is a collection of Sheets that contain one or more Tables (work spaces). The major problem with multiple Tables to a Sheet is that their spaces run contiguous but with adjustable blocking to contain the object put on them, default is spread sheet cells. This adjustability creates its own problem, particularly in the pagings of the different sized Tables.

I know there is a lot more to this than meets the eye but right now I am very much aware of my own limitations in correlating new information into relationship with older knowledge and that rate of educationability.

Back to the original question:

I just did a Copy/Paste of a sheet/table (I thought) from one document to another but on the paste it only added the table area as the second table on the existing sheet rather than as a new sheet and table. The only workaround I can think of for this is to add a sheet to which the ported table is to be attached then delete table 1 after the attachment.

Is there some way that the Copy/Paste can be used to add a sheet/table instead of just a sheet?

Sparkgapper

Jul 7, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Hello

In order to copy/past a sheet -

1) select a sheet in Sheets pane in source document;

User uploaded file

2) select a sheet in Sheets pane in destination document;

User uploaded file

3) perform paste;

User uploaded file

If you want to preserve the original sheet name, make sure sheet with the same name is not present in the destination documuent. E.g.,

2a) (Sheet 1 is not present in destination)

User uploaded file

3a) (Original name Sheet 1 is preserved in paste operation)

User uploaded file

Hope this helps,

H

Jul 8, 2015 6:31 AM in response to Yellowbox

Tks YellowBox for that link. Now, all I have to do is find the time to read this thing several times, or as much as these aged eyes will allow (in middle of Cataract removal/implants will will hopefully help considerably).

Hopefully, the NEW terminologies will not be too bad to allow assimilation of not only the basic facts but the primary details and their workings.

Tks again

Sparkgapper (and ANCIENT radioman)

Repost of discussion from wrong area

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.