Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 iPad Air 2 rotational & wake delay issue work-arounds

Just a synopsis and some work-arounds in a dedicated post for these two issues that have cropped up on the iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.4. Hopefully, they will help out until we get a definite fix.

Long (~1 second) wake delay

The only current work-around for the wake delay is to use a Smart Cover/ Smart Case (magnetic wake)

Waking from Sleep/Wake button or Home button both cause the delay

Waking from Smart Cover/Smart Case (magnetically) or by plugging into a charger does NOT cause the delay.

Screen rotation not working correctly

The current work around for the screen rotation issue is to disable Reduce Motion as below

If the Reduce Motion setting is turned ON under Settings/General/Accessibility/Reduce Motion, the screen will not rotate correctly

If the Reduce Motion setting is turned OFF under Settings/General/Accessibility/Reduce Motion, the screen will rotate correctly

An alternate & temporary way to correct the rotation issue

With the device on/awake, simply tap the Sleep/Wake button once to sleep the device, then quickly again to wake the device. This should cure the rotational issue until it reappears after the device has slept for longer than ~15 seconds and is awoken by the Sleep/Wake or Home buttons

Seems we are stuck with these issues & their work-arounds until Apple get it's act together and fixes them. Supply your feedback to them here please:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi-OTHER, iOS 8.4, 16 GB

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 11:24 AM

Thanks. Sleep button didn't work,but glad to know it's not just me!

17 replies

Aug 14, 2015 8:46 AM in response to radaines

I have not yet installed iOS 8.4.1 myself so I can't verify if it has or has not been fixed. However going by other reports both here and elsewhere, it appears as though it has not been fixed. Maybe those that have reported it as fixed never had the issue (have an Air 1 rather than an Air 2), are not testing it correctly for the issue or simply don't know what to look for or how the issue is manifested in the first place.

I've posted instructions in another topic on how to test for the rotation issue but I'll post them here as well. Maybe more can test and we can get a better idea if the issue is fixed or not.

If you wish to test, please follow all instructions, step by step and do not skip anything. Make sure you test with an Air 2 and make sure that you open the Smart Cover (or compatible) before testing as locking/unlocking with the Smart Cover will invalidate the test (using a Smart Cover is actually a workaround to the issue)

You need an iPad Air 2 to test (any model will do) running iOS 8.4 or 8.4.1

1. *Unlock screen rotation under Control Center*

2. Enable "Reduce Motion" (turn the slider ON) under Settings/General/Accessibility

3. Lock the iPad using the Sleep/Wake switch (if you have a Smart Cover on the device, leave the cover opened)

4. Wait a full 20 seconds

5. Unlock the iPad using the Sleep/Wake switch or Home button (any orientation is fine) *use only the sleep/wake switch or Home button*. If you wake the device using a Smart Cover, the rotational issue does not materialize

6. Rotate the device back and forth between portrait/landscape/portrait/landscape (etc)

If the screen rotates properly, the bug has been resolved under iOS 8.4.1

If the screen does not rotate properly, the bug has not been resolved in iOS 8.4.1

Aug 23, 2015 10:46 AM in response to SergZak

I've got an iPad Air 2 64g running 8.4.1

The only thing that stops this rotation issue for me is turning off the Reduce Motion option. Because I almost always close the Smart Cover when I'm not using the iPad, I wasn't seeing the issue often.

I Recently got a different cover, that allows for rotation of the device itself, so I sometimes end up with the iPad turned the wrong way, so the smart cover doesn't work. That also means I'm seeing the rotation issue more often.

I Prefer to have Reduce Motion turned on...so I'll have to pay more attention to the device rotation before closing my Smart Cover. Having to reboot every time I wake the device up is a pain. Hopefully Apple will fix it.

I expect some weirdness with my low cost 2012 Fire HD. I don't expect it with a superior device like the Air 2.

Sep 1, 2015 12:55 PM in response to SergZak

For the record, I am running 8.4.1 (Air 2, wifi, 64GB) and having the same problems. I've been away for a while and may have skipped the 8.4 update but I honestly can't remember. All I know is I wasn't having the problem before updating to 8.4.1 yesterday. Both the Motion Reduction - Off and Sleep fixes work so thank you for that, but how infuriating.

iOS 8.4 iPad Air 2 rotational & wake delay issue work-arounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.