Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to buy music on iPhone with iTunes

Do I have to join Apple Store to buy and download songs I want to buy? I can't figure out how to get to iTunes Store without joining Apple Music and paying a fee since I have done the update? Is this right? Please tell me this isn't the case!!

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 4:42 PM

90 replies

Jul 27, 2017 4:11 AM in response to Dalaimama

This is on your phone ? If you are seeing you are in the Music app where you play your music, you need to exit that and go into the iTunes Store app :

User uploaded file

Or if using your computer's iTunes, and if you don't have the store hidden via the Restrictions tab in iTunes' Preference, you need to click on the Store tab at the top middle of the screen :

User uploaded file

Jan 21, 2017 8:26 AM in response to Press2Start

Press2Start wrote:

What I know from experience about Apple Music is that after you're free trial, you cannot keep the files. Never. Each month you have to pay in order to keep the songs, BUT if you cancel you're membership you will lose you're songs again. So I would stick with iTunes & purchase single music which we can keep. With Apple Music you cannot even after you cancel you're membership.

You're post contradicts itself. First, you say you'll lose the music you downloaded if you cancel. Then, you say you can't cancel.

Of course you can't keep the music you've downloaded through a streaming service once you cancel the service. That's how it works. That's how Spotify, Amazon Music and Google Music work. The last music service I remember that let you download unlimited music that was yours to keep for one monthly fee was Emusic. You say you've never heard of them? Of course you haven't. They went out of business (at least in that form) about a decade ago. And, they never offered new releases from big name artists. Do you honestly think it would make business sense to let you download as much music as you wanted for $9.99 a month? Do the math.

Streaming services are not for everyone. They don't claim to be.

And, yes, you can cancel Apple Music whenever you chose to.

Manage your Apple Music membership on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV - Apple Support

Jul 26, 2017 7:15 PM in response to Dalaimama

The app is called "iTunes" not "iTunes Store".

If you can't find it on your iPhone, you may either have removed it or restricted it. Check Settings>General>Restrictions to see if it has been restricted.

See this article if you've removed it:

Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS device with iOS 10 and later - Apple Support

Mar 13, 2018 10:09 AM in response to rebeccafromlakeview

I was told that once I bought them I would have access to those songs forever

You have access to them if you don't delete them, you are not guaranteed to be able to redownload them from the store, that depends upon the rights-holder not removing them and you not moving countries after buying them. Songs downloaded from Apple Music are tied to a continuing Apple Music subscription.

You are going to the Purchased section (Account > Purchased if using a computer's iTunes ; Purchased tab in the iTunes Store app if using an iOS device) ? If they don't show there check : Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support

Mar 13, 2018 11:10 AM in response to rebeccafromlakeview

As long as the song remains available in the iTunes Store you would not need to re-purchase it, and can simply re-download it.

However Apple does not guarantee the permanence of media in the stores since rights holders can at any point in time remove the media they own from the iTunes store.

If you want to guarantee permanent access to your purchased media, its best to download it to a computer, and back it up.

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

It is your responsibility not to lose, destroy, or damage Content once downloaded. We encourage you to back up your Content regularly.

REDOWNLOADS

You may be able to redownload previously acquired Content (“Redownload”) to your devices that are signed in with the same Apple ID (“Associated Devices”). You can see Content types available for Redownload in your Home Country at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204632. Content may not be available for Redownload if that Content is no longer offered on our Services.

Jan 20, 2017 11:33 PM in response to Kward68

What I know from experience about Apple Music is that after you're free trial, you cannot keep the files. Never. Each month you have to pay in order to keep the songs, BUT if you cancel you're membership you will lose you're songs again. So I would stick with iTunes & purchase single music which we can keep. With Apple Music you cannot even after you cancel you're membership.

Feb 25, 2017 5:11 AM in response to Kward68

Congratulations Apple. You finally completely broke your flagship program that brought your company back from the bankruptcy through your latest greed and dysfunctional programming. I can't get a song anymore on itunes!

If I disable 'show apple music' in settings the only options I get when searching are radio or my library on my iphone. If I try to buy a song on my mac it somehow forgets me on the mac, asks for a code on my iphone. But there is no place to type it. I'm late for a vacation and already wasted far more time that I should trying to download a simple song. iph 6s, ios 10.2.1. No more time to waste on this. Stop pushing your customers to apple music, please.

Feb 25, 2017 7:30 AM in response to pdx_biker

pdx_biker wrote:

If I disable 'show apple music' in settings the only options I get when searching are radio or my library on my iphone.

You can't buy music through the Music app. You buy it through the iTunes app. To the best of my knowledge, that's the way it has always been. The subscription service didn't change that.

If you're having problems with logging into the iTunes Store, go to Settings>ITunes & App Store and make sure you have the correct Apple ID entered.

Apr 18, 2017 9:07 PM in response to King_Penguin

There's is no iTunes Store app on the phone, gone I have same problem. They might be guaging the public, see how transitioning to a monthly subscription to compete with YouTube will go if all of a sudden you can't figure out the IT problem as to why you can't but others can. Smart business thinking if you ask me. **** Apple and yes they are here, these are forums you agreed to terms and conditions to participate in, did you read them?

Apr 18, 2017 11:18 PM in response to Kaylajade16

There is an iTunes Store app, it it's no longer visible you have hidden it via Settings > General > Restrictions > iTunes Store 'off', or if the phone is on iOS 10+ you might have deleted it, in which case search for it in the App Store app to redownload it - either way it no longer being there is due to something that you've done.

Apple and yes they are here, these are forums you agreed to terms and conditions to participate in, did you read them?

Apple are here in terms of moderating the forums and replying on old unanswered threads

How to buy music on iPhone with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.