Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 touch screen problem

I'm having trouble interacting with my iphone 6 through the screen. I can use all the functions that involve my side volume and lock buttons. My home screen button works just fine as well. To reply to text messages or open an application though, I maybe have to hit the same letter or icon 20 times before it actually selects what i want it to and once it does, I have to touch the next letter or action the same amount of times. Some times I'll unlock my phone and can interact with it for maybe 15-20 seconds before my phone stops responding to my finger on the screen but most of the time it doesn't respond at all. Any suggestions?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 8, 2015 2:27 AM

28 replies

Jul 8, 2015 4:57 AM in response to ryanvillan562

Totally same problem here. I think it started when I updated to IOS 8.4.

I noticed my Music App would always hang while looking for internet connection for Apple Music.

The screen would then be unresponsive when you want to switch music.

Since yesterday I had the same problems you describe when texting, doing email, notes anything that involves using the keyboard.

This morning I did several hard resets including deleting to factory setting.

But I can't even set it up as I can't type letters properly. Now it even type on its own.

This really stinks....

Jul 10, 2015 4:53 AM in response to ryanvillan562

Is it an iPhone 6 issue? Since 8.4 my iPhone 6 touch screen have the same problem. My first action was to remove my screen protector, witch was useless. The I restore all the configurations. I just didn't restore the phone completly, but by the coments it also seemed useless. I am still randomly loosing the control of my mobile screen. This is a shame problem for a hi-end device such as an iphone 6. I had Androids before and never had issues like this one.

Apple, where is the 8.4.1?

Jul 11, 2015 6:47 AM in response to joaocarlosnb

It wont even connect to my apple watch at this point, the guy at t mobile said to wait for a new update but quickly got ****** off himself when the phone wouldn't respond to him or his diagnostic tool. ended up getting a warrantee replacement, should get it in a few hours today.

I noticed bluetooth and location services are usually what causes the issues, when they are off the phone runs fine for 10 minutes at a time before freezing.

when they are on Im lucky to get past the lock screen.

Jul 11, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Josay89

Soo, I just got off of live chat. I argued with them for about two hours on this issue. They said the issue was hardware failure. even though, it happened at the same time as the update. They refused to replace my phone that the update broke. I would have to pay 2 hundred something dollars for it to be replaced plus like 30 shipping. They had a flimsy argument for it with no factual argument behind it. I asked for it to be escalated further but they told me it could not. Feeling kind of scammed here. Has anyone else had this same thing happen? I copied the entire argument, if anyone would like to read it.

Note: Further, I have tried hard reset and full OS restore via iTunes. Nothing looks like it is working and they are not helping me.

Jul 12, 2015 10:23 AM in response to joaocarlosnb

The problem isn't exclusive to iPhone 6, I'm getting it on 5S and a couple of friends have had the problem on 5C. It seems to have coincided with us downloading 8.4. Unfortunately we can't go back to a version which worked, and Apple's testing seems to leave a lot to be desired (but still better than Android IMHO). In future I'm waiting a few months before downloading the latest update!

Jul 12, 2015 1:44 PM in response to ryanvillan562

This is been happening to be since I updated it to 8.4 a week ago.. I literally have no access to my phone... When it works, it lasts 20 seconds and then it doesn't work again... I tried restarting it- nothing, backing it up to iCloud- nothing, took it to my carrier- nothing, and I even put it back to factory settings- nothing.. I tried to get to Apple, but I can't call, text, email, etc.. They want my serial number, etc, Okay fine, how can I give it to you when I can't use my phone? *** Apple..?

Jul 12, 2015 3:19 PM in response to D.rainwater89

D.rainwater89 wrote:

Soo, I just got off of live chat. I argued with them for about two hours on this issue. They said the issue was hardware failure. even though, it happened at the same time as the update. They refused to replace my phone that the update broke. I would have to pay 2 hundred something dollars for it to be replaced plus like 30 shipping. They had a flimsy argument for it with no factual argument behind it. I asked for it to be escalated further but they told me it could not. Feeling kind of scammed here. Has anyone else had this same thing happen? I copied the entire argument, if anyone would like to read it.

Note: Further, I have tried hard reset and full OS restore via iTunes. Nothing looks like it is working and they are not helping me.

They gave you the correct response.

Jul 12, 2015 3:19 PM in response to ryanvillan562

If it has NEVER been jailbroke, here are some standard repair procedures:

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod/iPhone and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod/iPhone. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod/iPhone. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, read this.

Jul 12, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Philly_Phan

hardware issue might make sense, my iphone was incredibly hot even thru the rubber case( almost too hot to touch) never happened before the update, the morning after that the problem started. Maybe the phone overheated. i have seen two seperate articles where phones have exploded recently. I was unsure if they are true or not. but try taking it to your wireless provider. Tmobile Helped me out with little problem.

Jul 12, 2015 4:30 PM in response to Josay89

Josay89 wrote:

Same problem This morning. I thought it was my fault because i dropped it but nothing broke and phone is in a case, even paid to change the screen only for it to continue, a fix would be nice since i cant go back to 8.3

Anything could have happened internally when it was dropped. Was the screen replaced by an Authorised Apple Repairer?

Pete

iPhone 6 touch screen problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.