Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.10 - Safari - Netflix - Whoops HDCP error

Hello community

After doing some research AGAIN on this issue, I see that although I'm not alone, not much progress seems to have been made this year, short of speculation.

The issue is SPECIFICALLY with OS 10.10.X using Safari watching Netflix. I have received the "Whoops, something went wrong... display error. There appears to be a display problem. Please ensure your monitor is HDCP compliant and is not mirror using airplay" for a long while now but only with 10.10.

I never had this issue with Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

I never have this issue using Chrome or Firefox watching on Netflix.

I never have this issue watching on Hulu or Youtube using Safari.

When I first upgraded to Yosemite and began having this issue, I had restored to Mavericks and once again, I could very well watch Netflix using Safari. I have isolated this to 10.10.X, Safari, Netflix with no variation (any variations and I can watch just fine).

Any hope that this will be fixed? I do not enjoy using any Google products as the only working and reliable service they provide me is gmail and Firefox is just a workaround for me when I need extensions. I prefer using Safari for all my browsing (handoff being the main) and I find it odd that it used to work with previous OSs (Mountain Lion and Mavericks) and it still works fine using other browsers (or different video sites like Hulu or Youtube on Safari). The only change that coincided with this error beginning is upgrading to Yosemite. I'm crossing my fingers that it fixes with El Capitan but after all the Yosemite updates, I'm not too hopeful.

If I missed an article that magically fixed this, then I do apologize for the oversight. I have tried fixes found in other articles and nothing works except the ridiculous workaround like using a different browser or downgrading my OS. This is not workable.

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 9:50 AM

6 replies

OS 10.10 - Safari - Netflix - Whoops HDCP error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.