Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot submit podcast to the iTunes Directory.

Greetings,

I have read several threads with regard to this error:

Our connection was interrupted to this feed possibly due to a timeout. The host did not accept the connection within timeout of 30000ms

the url I am trying to submit is https://codexcasts.com/episodes.rss

I have validated this url with both

http://castfeedvalidator.com/?url=codexcasts.com/episodes.rss

and by subscribing to it directly from iTunes (OSX)

File > Subscript to Podcast... > codexcasts.com/episodes.rss > Press OK > observe the podcast in my subscription

Muchless, you can directly hit that url from a web browser

There are one of two issues possible.

A) iTunes podcasts may not support https ( i hope this is not true)

B) Apple has a server issue.

please help, Apple.

This is clearly on your end.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 8:51 PM

22 replies

Jul 10, 2015 11:40 PM in response to CodexLabs

It used to be the case that iTunes and the Store couldn't handle https: there appears to have been some improvement in this, and the feed can be subscribed to in the iTunes application, but using https is inadvisable.

The timeout suggests that your server is not responding promptly. Though there's no hard evidence, we've seen cases where it looked as if a server was specifically failing to respond to requests from the Store although it was OK with other requests. This is something that only the people running your server can look into.

Incidentally you are not talking to Apple in these forums: it's a user to user forum. In any case Apple won't assist you with problems at your end with podcasts. It's unlikely that the problem is at their end.

Jul 11, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I have been trying to troubleshoot this error as well. I have tried directly from a hosting account and having direct access, to then testing it from an account hosted by Sound Cloud. The error is still happening even then. You mentioned it being unlikely that it is from the Apple end even though I have seen bugs in other Apple programs like iMovie, GarageBand and Keynote - it happens. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But with this info what do you think could be the issue here...I could see a misconfiguration issue might be the cause on a dedicated server if something wasn't set correctly but not as likely coming from Sound Cloud. I am stuck. Having tried this in various ways and from different hosting platforms...I keep getting the same response from itunes when trying to submit a feed. I have updated the software, logged in via SSH using the Terminal to modify the timeout length, gone over and over all of the settings and documentation in each method, each time....same result. Any ideas?

Jul 11, 2015 2:59 PM in response to UniversalSOF

I would imagine the timeout is set in iTunes rather than the server and obviously you can't amend that. I have seen cases where servers responded so slowly that the Store gave up, though usually you can see that happen with a browser as well; but I've also seen cases where a feed was OK everywhere except when submitting, suggesting (though this is a guess) that the server is reacting differently to requests from the Store than from browsers or the iTunes application. However server technology is outside my experience so I can do no more than guess. Server logs might give some indication of what is going on, if these are available.

If two of you are getting the same error then it's possible the Store is having a temporary problem - that's not entirely unknown. If that's the case there isn't really anything you can do about it except wait for it to clear.

Jul 11, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger thanks for taking the time to respond back and provide some insight. Like you said, everything looks good with all the settings however, I did find inside of Sound Cloud that there is a permissions settings that applies to each audio file that I assumed was being set globally. I am able to subscribe to the feed inside of itunes but I am still getting the same issue when trying to submit it to the store. Because I was able to subscribe tot he podcast and the audios are showing up I am leaning toward the issue being some small setting or requirement that I am missing somewhere. Similar to the permissions issue I just figured out. I will post again once I get to the bottom of this. Been at it for a couple days now. Thanks again.

Jul 12, 2015 6:01 AM in response to CodexLabs

Yeah. It is pretty clear this is an Apple issue. I have done literally everything I can, including reducing my content down to a single episode and making sure my cover images are at least 1400 by 1400 px AND under 500kb.

I got a different error message this morning.

"We could not complete your iTunes Store Request. The network connection was lost.

There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."

User uploaded file

Apple, if you are listening. Please Fix this issue or at least acknowledge it. This is a terrible time waste ( 4 days now) and horrible user experience.

I am about ready to give up on iTunes.

cannot submit podcast to the iTunes Directory.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.