Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 53 when updating iphone 6, why Apple ?

My iPhone was working fine till I changed my screen after my iPhone screen got damaged after falling down, the Touch ID didn't work after fixing the screen, but the phone was working fine. until I updated to 8.4, I kept getting error 53 message.

I read a lot and most people said its because of the Touch ID. Now I lost my phone and I'm unable to update/restore and apple has no official fix and I cant replace my phone because its out of warranty and no apple care.

WAS MOT SUPPOSED FROM APPLE TO LAUNCH AN UPDATE THAT BYPASS THE TOUCH ID PROCESS????

my phone was working fine and I don't need the touch ID!! why I'm forced now to buy a new iPhone just because ( I updated my phone while the touch ID was not working ! )

is there any fix for this issue ? anything to do ?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2, Error 53

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 11:50 AM

There is no fix. Error 53 is a hardware error. Your opening the device and replacing the screen yourself has voided all post-warranty support from Apple and the forum. Find a competent 3rd party repair facility or replace the device. Apple is not going to provide an update to bypass the Touch ID. That would be ridiculous. No one here can help you, you are on your own.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2015 11:50 AM in response to Sifer90

There is no fix. Error 53 is a hardware error. Your opening the device and replacing the screen yourself has voided all post-warranty support from Apple and the forum. Find a competent 3rd party repair facility or replace the device. Apple is not going to provide an update to bypass the Touch ID. That would be ridiculous. No one here can help you, you are on your own.

Jul 12, 2015 12:04 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Then why there was no warning or information from apple before making the update that the TOUCH ID is required for updating the phone ? everything would be fine if I didn't update the phone. now I cant even restore my phone and apple is saying they have no fix. Hello, we are in 2015, still I can have a problem in my iPhone and apple says ( we don't have solution for it ?! ) They should had thought about this issue before applying the touch ID technology!

Jul 12, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Sifer90

You brought this problem on your self when you attempted to physically repair the phone yourself.

It's not even technically an iPhone any more. Apple does not sell iPhone parts. The only possible sources for the replacement screen you installed are stolen parts, salvaged parts, or counterfeit parts.

Your phone is unsupportable here or by Apple. Find a competent 3rd party repair shop or buy a new phone.

Jul 12, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Sifer90

Sifer90 wrote:

Then why there was no warning or information from apple before making the update that the TOUCH ID is required for updating the phone ? everything would be fine if I didn't update the phone.

Because the iPhone is not user serviceable, so there would be no warning. Apple knows how to repair or replace their devices.

No, actually everything would be fine if you took the device to Apple instead of trying to play serviceman. You have been told by two people know how to deal with what you have come up with. No matter what you do, the device will no longer be covered by Apple and contain salvaged parts. That is why it doesn't work. No one to blame here but yourself. Take responsibility for your actions.

Jul 12, 2015 2:13 PM in response to KiltedTim

My phone worked fine after the replacement of the screen in a 3rd party shop. The problem occurred after the UPDATE, which means my iPhone would work fine and survive. if there was any warning within the update regarding the Touch ID issue, then I can blame myself. but i'm dealing with a company with a good reputation, and saying we don't have a solution for your problem just because of the warranty or because I didn't repair the phone with them is ridiculous, such errors should not appear, at least the user or the owner of the phone can format/restore it. but buying and throwing away the 800$ phone just because of the error and the phone works fine is really nonsense.

Jul 12, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Sifer90

Your mistake was going to that 3rd party shop instead of going to apple service shop, it is possible that during disassemble they damaged your original touch ID and replaced with a copy that will never work. The only thing you can do now is to return where your phone was fixed and ask them what they did with original part that was in your phone.

Jul 12, 2015 3:59 PM in response to Sifer90

Sifer90 wrote:

My phone worked fine after the replacement of the screen in a 3rd party shop. The problem occurred after the UPDATE, which means my iPhone would work fine and survive.

Unfortunately, that's completely irrelevant. The fact that it was opened and parts were replaced by an unauthorized 3rd party means that your phone is completely unsupportable either here or by Apple. Take it back to whoever replaced the screen and see if they can help you or just buy a new phone.

Oct 6, 2015 5:13 PM in response to Sifer90

The advice they are giving is great advice. Buy a new phone
from a different company! That’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’ve owned every
version since the beginning, but I’m over it now. I just hope these folks on
this site remember their own words when they are required to go to a specific
car dealer to get their $30,000+ car repaired that is dead on the side of the
road. It’s too bad that’s where the world is headed. No need to reply; I won’t
be checking back. ;-)

Oct 19, 2015 2:45 AM in response to Sifer90

I'm fairly disgusted by the attitudes displayed in here. There are actually valid times and reasons that it would have been nice to know in advance about the touchid.

I am currently sitting here with a worthless brick of an iPhone 6 because a little chip showed up on the home button and since then the touchid has not worked. Keep in mind I have literally no physical damage to the phone at all except that chip. I didn't drop it, I didn't hit it, maybe a family member did or something. All I know is something happened to cause a chip in it. Anyway, I have never had an issue with the phone, until the touchid stopped working.

Now, I had no idea the update was linked to it so I quite happily sat down to update to 9.0.2 from 9.0.1 only to find myself in a recovery mode loop that can't be rectified, all thanks to error 53 and being tied to the touchid.

I've not done anything out of the ordinary, no 3rd party stuff, no replacement stuff, etc, and here I am with a brick.

I'm heading to the Apple store tomorrow to see what they can do for me, so I still have a possible solution. However, the reason for this post is just to inform these single-minded online preachers and know-it-alls that just because they don't agree with something - not everyone reads their EULA and most regular users see these stores while they are out and about and don't even think twice about using their services - but at the same time their issue is just as likely shared by someone who may read these threads one day who didn't cause the issue the same way. So it would be nice to see some constructive replies - if not for the OP for the future readers.

Error 53 when updating iphone 6, why Apple ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.