Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic 160GB won't sync to latest version of iTunes

I've got a really old (at least 10 years) iPod Classic. It's been fantastic. That is until the latest iTunes iteration was released (as of today iTunes 12.2.1.16.

When I plug in the iPod to my computer, it will open iTunes, iTunes says it's syncing and then it says it's done and nothing happens.

I've tried rebooting both the computer and the iPod, reinstalling iTunes, restoring factory settings on the iPod (which erased everything on it) and trying an older version of iTunes all to no avail.

Has anyone else had this issue and been able to solve it?

iPod classic, Windows 8

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 4:30 PM

26 replies

Jul 19, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Jordanthegirl

I wish I had read your post before I updated my iTunes several days ago. iTunes no longer recognizes my 120 GB iPod Classic (though it still recognizes a couple of iPhone 4's). My Windows 8.1 computer recognizes the iPod on a USB drive and the iPod itself shows it's connected, but iTunes shows no connection. I spoke with Apple support and they indicated that it was likely a problem with the latest iTunes software upgrade. Apple needs to fix this in support of customers who purchased their iPod Classics long ago.

Aug 18, 2015 8:16 PM in response to Jordanthegirl

Very similar problem: my 160GB would not sync, "IPod not found. Check internet connection and CD Rom". I tried it on 2 different Win7 computers, 2 different cords, 2 different versions of itunes. Figured it was the ipod, went to the Apple store, traded it in on a new classic 160GB (they still have a few for that reason), got home, same thing!!! Went and bought a new cord, same thing!!! Support had no clue, said that they could not suggest it, but some people might play around with the firewall, not that he would suggest something like that... It makes no sense!!!

Aug 19, 2015 11:36 AM in response to wendyfromkitchener

I have the same issue, I thought it was connected to a Windows 10 update, but then realised my syncs had not worked for over a month prior to installing Windows 10. It is obvious that it is linked to the latest iTunes update. It was saying sync completed. no indication of problem, except in settings where it says Driver error. Apple need to sort there software out!

Aug 30, 2015 9:34 PM in response to turingtest2

You seem to have the best solutions. For the first time since upgrading to 12.2 (Mac), my Classic wasn't even recognized in the upper left corner of the iTunes page.. When I tried to synch all the music left the iPod. I had to restore the iPod, and eventually was able to manually synch all the songs (which only took a few minutes). Is this something that I might have to do each time I synch? Is there an easier way? I appreciate any advice.. I had no problem synching my little Nano...it's not a wheel-based scroll like the Classic. To have to restore the iPod each time to synch seems the long way to do this. Any other advice? Thank you so much.

Aug 31, 2015 3:34 AM in response to Bob Foss

With luck that is a one off glitch. If the database on the device isn't written out properly or cannot be read by it then the device will appear empty, even though the media files are still present on it. Restoring should repair things, though if your device has a large amount of "other" in the space map then you may need to use the DFU restore method or reformat the drive to reclaim the space. See Corrupt iPod classic for more.

tt2

iPod Classic 160GB won't sync to latest version of iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.