Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 12.2.1.16, win7: ipod not syncing, unable to play video

In Summary, itunes will not sync with either of two ipod classics and i cannot play any of my videos in itunes ("video playback is not supported on this computer". Here's what I've done:

1. Received prompt to install 12.2.1
  2. Backed up all files, then clicked “OK”
  3. Received the following error messages:
    1. itunes has an invalid signature it will not be installed
    2. Error occurred while installing the updates. If the problem persists, choose Tools->download only and try reinstalling manually.
  4. Attempted to install update again…
  5. Received message “your software has been successfully installed”
  6. closed & re-launched iTunes
  7. Connected iPod
  8. IPod showed connected, syncing, then OK to disconnect but would not sync
  9. Clicked on iPod icon in iTunes, then on “sync” button
  10. Received message “the iPod XX cannot be synced because it cannot be found”
  11. Restarted PC
  12. Launched iTunes
  13. Connected iPod
    1. IPod showed connected, syncing, then OK to disconnect but did not sync
    2. I click on the iPod icon in iTunes, the “sync” button is unavailable
    3. ITunes then shows “ the iPod cannot be synced because it cannot be found”
  14. Restarted PC
  15. Launched iTunes

Help->About -> shows 12.2.1.16

16. Connected iPod
    1. IPod showed connected, syncing, ejecting, ok to disconnect
    2. I click on the iPod icon in iTunes, the “sync” button is unavailable
  17. Uninstalled:
    1. ITunes
    2. Apple software update
    3. Apple mobile support
    4. Bonjour
    5. Apple application support
  18. Restarted PC (PC restarted OK this time)
  19. Downloaded & Installed iTunes 12.2.1.16
  20. Launched iTunes

Help->About -> shows 12.2.1.16

21. Connected iPod
    1. IPod showed connected, syncing, ejecting & ok to disconnect
    2. I click on the iPod icon in iTunes, then the “sync” button
  22. reset ipod (via center button & menu button)
  23. connected ipod with itunes running

a. itunes does not recognize the ipod, but windows does

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 7, iTunes 12.2.1.16

Posted on Jul 15, 2015 5:53 AM

8 replies

Jul 17, 2015 6:33 PM in response to mtriplett

I have same problem with syncing iPod Nano 6th generation, but have found a temporary work around. If I open iTunes after a reboot, it will recognize my iPod and Sync after a minute or so. If you can click Enable Disk Use during this time, iTunes will allow you to Sync again during that session and make to changes to Podcasts, Playlists, etc. Once you are done, first close iTunes (don't use iTunes eject) then eject the iPod using the Safely Remove Hardware option from tray. I have been able to open iTunes, connect my iPod and sync without rebooting again. Hopefully that helps some of you until there is an official fix.

Jul 18, 2015 9:48 AM in response to mtriplett

1) uninstalled Norton 360, restarted & EVERYTHING WORKS - devices sync, "check for updates works", all diagnostic tests passed, I can access store & account, etc.

2) reinstalled N360, rebooted - devices sync, "check for updates" works, but COULD NOT access store, account, etc.

3) ran "netsh winsock reset" & rebooted (per this link: secure link to itunes store failed windows 7) - everything works with the exception of the network connectivity test. Which is odd, because I can access the store, my account, check for updates, etc. Hopefully the Apple tech I've been working with will be able to figure out that small issue. But I'll consider this topic "resolved" as I currently have all my functionality back.

Cheers!

itunes 12.2.1.16, win7: ipod not syncing, unable to play video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.