Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6TB drives won't mount after restart in Mac Pro 2012

The problem manifests itself when a 6TB HGST drive does NOT mount on the desktop nor appears in the Disk Utility after a reboot. The ONLY way I have figured out how to work around this problem is to shut down the computer and the open the case and slightly pull out one 6TB hard drive (i.e. enough to release it from the SATA connector on the logic board) and then push it back in. At that point, if I boot the computer any and all 6TB HGST drives installed in the computer will appear on the desktop until I restart the next time. I don't have to remove each and every drive to make them all appear, just one.

When I first experienced this issue, I assumed it was a hardware problem with that one computer, but I have now experienced it again with a different computer at the different company and with a 6TB HGST drive from a different production batch. Now that I have two data points, I want to test this configuration on other computers to see if I can figure out if it is more widespread than the existing two machines.

The similarities between the two machines are more than the differences. They are both Mac Pro 2010 5,1 models at their core, but they are also both the 2012 variant that was a slight upgrade from the 2010 model. They both have the shipping EFI firmware (which is the latest for that model). They both have 20GB of RAM and they both run Mac OS X 10.8.5. One machine is used for graphic design and the other is a server. They also both have more than one drive slot being used. The one machine that is the server have four drives. Two are 2GB drives used as the boot partitions. The last two are 6TB data drives. The other machine that is used for design has two 2TB drives for booting and backup and one 6TB drive for Time Machine (the fourth slot is empty). In both cases the 2TB drives are Toshiba drives (using the HGST derived manufacture process). Also in both cases the two 2TB drives are in slot 1 and 2 and the 6TB drive(s) are in 3 or 3 and 4. They both have ATI Radeon 5770 cards. Both are plugged into Ethernet networks and do not have wireless turned on.

There are some differences too. The server has a number of external RAID boxes connected via an ESATA card. The other computer has nothing in the PCI-E slots. The server has an after market replacement DVD and the graphics machine has its stock DVD drive. The server machine runs OS X Server.app.

I have a number of resources at my disposal so I plan to do some further testing. That said, I don't have everything to be really thorough and would love some help from others whom are either experiencing this or just want to help. Here is what I don't know and would like to test.

I have in my world Mac Pros that I can test at different customer locations. I can test a 1,1 easily, and I can also test a 3,1 and 4,1. I have those all available in my direct control right now. What I don't have is a 5,1 2010 model, but I can borrow one to test. I can also procure another 6TB HGST drive. What I don't have is a WD 6TB or other brand. I would love to know if this is specific to HGST or if it is a general problem for 6TB drives, Also, for that matter, I would love to see if this happens with 5TB drives. Has anyone else installed a HGST or WD 6TB and had mounting problems?

It would also be great to know if this issue is independent of OS. I plan to test 10.6, 10.8, and 10.10. Of course on the 1,1 Mac Pro I can't test past 10.7. I also would like to know if it matters that a 2TB drive is present and even if that drive is a Toshiba or other brand and even the quantity of drives and their slot position. I hazily remember trying to move drives around in slots when I first encountered this problem. I also wonder if different models of the 6TB drive may behave differently (i.e. NAS versus Enterprise).

I plan to post my results when I am done with the testing.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 11:26 AM

113 replies

May 12, 2017 6:35 PM in response to Adam Wunn

Mac Pro 5,1 - 12 core - 2.93 Ghz

Western Digital Black 6TB drive model # WD6002FZWX

Os X v10.10.5

Same issue here...

Cold boot - drive mounts, Restart - does not mount and does not show in Disk Utility or System Profiler.

Seems to work just fine in 10.7.5 on same rig. - Not an option for us.

Also hot plugging the drive in 10.10.5 does not force a mount.

Tested with 10.12.4 - same problem.

May 31, 2017 11:11 AM in response to paulnevai

I expect the reason is that this drive takes a long time to first spin down, then spin back up again. When you do a restart, it is not yet ready when the system expects it to be there, so it is ignored.

Drives with more platters are going to be spinning a set of platters that is a bit more massive than a drive with fewer platters. But the amount of energy needed, once, to get it spinning from a dead stop probably does not justify using a much larger spindle motor.

Any technique that allows it to fully spin down before asking it to spin up again should work.

May 31, 2017 2:29 PM in response to David Talaga

This should solve your problem. Just change Machintosh HD in line 3 to the name of your HD.

I intentionally set it to wait 3 min before running the check so the drive has the opportunity to mount and so that you can remove the plist if there is an issue.

Save the following as 6TB_Drive_Mount_Check.sh in Documents/Scripts

make it executable by launching terminal and typing:

chmod a+x

then drag 6TB_Drive_Mount_Check.sh onto the terminal and press return. (I recommend downloading bbedit or TextWrangler for this)

#!/bin/bash
say started
sleep 180 # wait for 3 min before continuing. This give the driver time to mount and hopefully prevent an inadvertent reboot loop
DriveCheck=$(diskutil list|grep "Macintosh HD") ; echo $DriveCheck

TimeIn5Min=$(echo `date -v+5M +%m/%d/%Y" "%H:%M:%S`)

if [ -z "$DriveCheck" ]; #If Null
    then
        say "no drive found"
        pmset schedule wakeorpoweron "$TimeIn5Min" # Schedule Power On in 5 Min
        say "system power on set for" "$TimeIn5Min"
        say "system will power down in 2 min"
        shutdown -h + 2 # System will shut down in 2 min.
    else
        say $DriveCheck Found
fi

exit 0

Change USERNAME below to your username then save this as CheckDriveMount.plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons

Then it should run at every boot.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EnvironmentVariables</key>
    <dict>
        <key>PATH</key>
        <string>/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/sbin</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>CheckDriveMount</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/bin/sh</string>
        <string>/Users/USERNAME/Documents/Scripts/6TB_Drive_Mount_Check.sh</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

I placed a say command the script so you know if it's working properly. You can comment them out if it works. If you get stuck in a reboot loop remove the plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons. You have about 5 min after boot before another reboot commences.

Admittedly the machine I have that had this issue has given up the ghost so I have no use for this now. Let me know if you have issues and I will try to sort them.

Jun 1, 2017 12:10 PM in response to glgsimpson

Your recourse, should you choose to pursue this issue, is to make an appointment at the genius bar of an Apple-owned store, present the equipment involved, and press your case in person.

This is a User-to-user forum, and Readers here have no ability to escalate problems to Apple Engineering. Apple makes no promise to read what Users post here, and Never responds here unless an initial post goes unanswered for days.

Jun 1, 2017 8:32 PM in response to glgsimpson

Unfortunately that's not happening. I got lucky, I got my hands on an older server that mounted the disks fine. My issue was that if the server was rebooted the drives wouldn't mount and I would not know till I connected and needed something from the server. Usually when I need something I need it now. Not an hour after screwing around with the server. So if you find yourself in a similar position the script I wrote, when run at boot, will check if the drive you're looking for is mounted. If not it will set a one off schedule for your computer to boot in 5 min. It will then shut the computer down.

For all intents and purposes this should solve the problem of the drive not being available when you need it. Also if you don't want to mess with a LaunchDaemon plist just rename the file to end with the extension .command and set it up as a start up item. Heck you can even unmount your drive and double click the .command to test it out. The computer should shut down 5 min after you click and start back up five min after that.

If you don't have an issue where your computer reboots periodically for updates then you don't need this. You can simply shut down and power on manually.

Not ideal, but it works.

Jun 19, 2017 12:57 PM in response to mvasilakis13

Same problem here.

Mac Pro 2009 flashed to 2010 running El Capitan (10.11.) booted off of a Samsung 500GB SSD placed on a Sonnet Tempo PCIe 2.0 card in one of the PCIe slots. Removed two (2) working HGST Deskstar 2TB drives mounted internally and replaced with two (2) HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB drives. Drives will only mount when computer starts from a completely "off" state. Drives won't mount and cannot even be seen by Disk Utility or other disk utilities when re-starting the computer.

HGST support boiled down to "you are using NAS drives in a desktop computer, therefore you cannot be surprised if they don't work properly".

Unless someone can come up with some trick to make these drives mount on re-start, I guess I'll be having to remember to shutdown instead.

Jun 28, 2017 12:12 AM in response to Adam Wunn

Suddenly having the same issue: 2010 Mac Pro 5,1, 64GB, CPUs 2x quad-core 3.46GHz (best bang for the buck), SSD for boot, all drive bays in use, plus 2 mSATA 500GB Samsung SSDs on a PCI card, macOS 10.12.5. Recently replaced two failed/failing internal drives with a 4TB WD NAS (WDBMMA0040HNC-NRSN) and a 4TB HGST Deskstar 7200RPM 128MB cache NAS. The WD is fine, the HGST drive exhibits the same problem everyone else is seeing.

This is a bit of a pain, but I'll have to remember not to restart (or allow restarts after updates). It occurs to me that this could possibly cause problems if I wanted to install macOS on that drive. I haven't yet tested to see if the problem happens under Windows, but from the previous posts, I suspect it will be fine if the issue is Apple drivers and not a hardware problem.

Good to know it's not just me, anyway, and I'm kind of relived to find out it's not the drive.

Jun 28, 2017 6:51 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Interesting assessment. IIRC the issue did not exist prior to 10.8. If that's the case then maybe 10.7 and prior had a longer lag time prior to boot after shutdown on a reboot. If this is a property that exists in the EFI than maybe a longer lag can be set?

Maybe install REFIT and test? (My 2009 gave up the ghost so I have no way to test.) Again IIRC rEFIt and rEFInd add a small delay to the startup process. The delay may just be enough to allow total spin-down and spin-up for a proper mount.

edit: after looking at rEFIt and rEFInd both have a configurable delay. I'd recommend playing with this. Please report back if you find a winning combo.

6TB drives won't mount after restart in Mac Pro 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.