Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recover pictures from broken iPhone 6

My iPhone 6 has a broken screen (the display works but has flashing/strobing going on at the top and touch is completely disabled). I am desperately seeking a way to get my pictures and videos off my phone. The catch? it's locked. I cannot figure out what to do. I have an appointment with the genius bar to get the phone fixed tomorrow and should be able to recover most of my other information but my pictures weren't backed up due to being over 5gb worth of storage. I have tried everything I know how to try to get them off my phone. If anyone else has a solution for this I'd be so grateful.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 10:11 AM

29 replies

May 11, 2017 12:13 PM in response to LisaAshley

One way may be to use a keyboard with a lightning connector (find them on amazon). Have seen some YouTube vids showing this works. Haven't tried but need to as well. Stopping by an Apple store tonight to see if they have any on the display models 😉. Obvious, but this would only work if you really do already know the passcode. Not sure I'll be able to get the passcode turned off from settings that way or may have to pull out the laptop and start backing up right there!

Hope this helps.

Jul 17, 2015 11:30 AM in response to airforcegrrrl

If you didn't already have it set up to sync to iTunes on your computer, then you're hosed. If they were not already backed up, there is no way to get to them now. The data on the phone is encrypted.

The only real option is to make an appointment at the genius bar. They may be able to replace the display without losing your data. There are no guarantees, though.

Jul 17, 2015 1:01 PM in response to airforcegrrrl

If you have a mac you might be able to use iExplorer to extract the information. Don't know if it requires you to put your lock code in though. Yeah if touch ID isn't setup/working and you can't blindly put in your code (you're screen is totally F*d) then they might be able to replace the screen without deleting content. when was the last time you backed up your data to iTunes if iCloud backup was disabled?

Jul 17, 2015 3:22 PM in response to nathanial

I have a backup of everything else, just not the pictures. If they didn't require passcode upon restart I could unlock it. I've never understood that process...you'd think touch ID would be more secure than a passcode. The screen is toast, and taunts me with the fact that if touch ID would work I could unlock and back up. Guess it's just a good reminder to back up my data often, and lots of tears for the two years of memories I just lost.

Jul 17, 2015 3:37 PM in response to airforcegrrrl

I've never understood the need to enter in the code after a restart either when you have touch ID enabled.

Having worked in this fine companies stores, I always told customers that if you don't transfer or back up your photos its like walking around with all your negatives and photos in one place. If you lose that one item, you can't get them back.

If you've ever backed up to iTunes in the last two years you might have a backup there or if the photos do an auto sync. But it doesn't sound like you interface your phone with your computer often, if at all.

It's a good habit to get into. I literally take all my photos from my phone and dump them into a dated folder every 4 months or so. I now have 4 years of iPhone photos that I need to go through at some point, which I never will, but at least I know there are duplicates in places.

Try a software extraction solution.

Jul 17, 2015 3:53 PM in response to KiltedTim

I only have the demo version now of iExplorer and am able to view all images on my phone without having to unlock the phones screen through the apps interface. You have to purchase the license (I think its $30) to export to a folder and to unlock those type of features. But it could be that it won't let you do export without actually unlocking the phone. I'm not going to spend the $30 for myself to see if it works, but I know some people would spend more to get their photos back.

So KT, iExplorer does allow you to root around the drive without unlocking the phone, but I don't know if its export functions require that. I tend to think like you, but I was a little surprised that I was able to pull up my DCIM folder on my phone without pushing "trust computer", or passcode, or anything.

Jul 17, 2015 4:10 PM in response to nathanial

Have you used that computer and phone together in the past? Also, from what I have read and experienced, if you break the screen to the point that you cannot enter the passcode, even if you have trusted the computer in the past or even synced in the past, it will not allow you to access the device. Seems almost like a fail safe if someone tried to smash the phone to gain access..

Jul 17, 2015 4:09 PM in response to airforcegrrrl

So I bought the single license for $35 and was able to export my photos from my phone to a folder on my desk top without having to put in my passcode. Even opened them up in Preview and the videos in Quicktime. Not sure why it wouldn't work in your situation unless you have to push the "trust" button if you've never paired the two. Might be a free something out there, or you might just waste $35.

Jul 17, 2015 4:53 PM in response to KiltedTim

You gave incorrect information and weren't helpful.

Its the only app that I've used that is stable enough for most non-techy people to use. And people really like having their photos from birthdays, weddings, etc. I'm just being up front about the costs. I have no affiliation with the company. Most people will try to go the free route, but that usually requires more computer know how and effort than they are willing/can put into it.

You can call me a paid shill, but I gave some options, and even went above to see if my method would work, because I would hate for her to buy it and it not work. I can afford it.

Once again, you gave incorrect information and have resorted to name calling.

What are your suggests for the OP?

Jul 17, 2015 4:56 PM in response to nathanial

And you never answered a direct question regarding your "test".

It will not work on a previously untrusted computer. The data is encrypted. Including the photos.

You are wrong.

I already provided the ONLY solution there is if there is not backup. Get the display replaced and cross your fingers that they can do it without wiping your device.

recover pictures from broken iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.