Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I turn on my apple watch it shows the time and a lightning bolt it is not charging though how do I get it to the home screen ?? I tried pressing everything

I Took my apple watch Off the charger but all it shows is a lightning bolt and the time I tried pressing all the buttons but it still didn't change

Apple Watch, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2016 4:03 AM

I've been holding both home button and other button multiple times now and i still have the same issue - it wont even go back to the home screen. my watch has been on the charger all night and all the plastic is removed from everywhere. i just got my watch today and everything was fine, then it had to go into reserve mode and it wont come out. my watch is in a coma! help!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2016 4:03 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I've been holding both home button and other button multiple times now and i still have the same issue - it wont even go back to the home screen. my watch has been on the charger all night and all the plastic is removed from everywhere. i just got my watch today and everything was fine, then it had to go into reserve mode and it wont come out. my watch is in a coma! help!

Jan 30, 2016 2:20 AM in response to JohnT28

Hi John

As the charging indicator returns to red upon removal from the charger, check that:

All plastic wrap has been removed from both ends and both sides of the charging cable (check closely on the head of the charger).

User uploaded file

• The back of your watch and the head of the charging cable are clean and dry (clean them with a lint-free cloth and retry).
  • The charging head is directly aligned with the back of the watch, with the concave / curved side touching it fully:

Some watch docks, stands, cases or protectors might hinder this.

• You are using only the genuine Apple Magnetic Charging Cable or an Apple certified magnetic charging module.
  • If you are charging your watch by plugging into mains power, try using different adapters from the following:
    • The genuine Apple USB Power Adapter that was supplied with the watch, or;
    • A genuine Apple 5W (iPhone) or 12W (iPad) USB Power Adapter, or;
    • Apple-certified (MFi) third-party 5W power adapter.
  • If charging via a USB port, ensure that you use a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port, the computer remains turned on and awake and the cable is plugged directly into the computer (not into, for example, an external keyboard).

Under normal operation, charging should only take up to around 2.5 hours for a full charge.

More information:

Check your battery and charge your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If the issue persists after following these steps, contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available) or make a Genius Bar reservation with a view to having your watch and/or power accessories checked under warranty:

https://www.apple.com/support/watch/contact/

By the way: although your query is on a related subject, it is different to the original question here, which has already been answered. A different question should be asked in a new thread. If others later have the same query, this also makes it easier for them to find - hopefully along with an answer.

More information: Find answers and ask new questions

Dec 31, 2017 3:56 AM in response to Gguardado

Hi

Apple Watch displays the time and a lightning bolt (and cannot be used for any other functions) when it has entered into Power Reserve mode, which happens automatically when the battery reaches a low charge level or when it is enabled manually.

You may need to charge your Apple Watch before it can be restarted.

To turn off Power Reserve mode and restart your Apple Watch (after you have charged it, if required): press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo, as instructed here:

Check your battery and charge your Apple Watch - Apple Support

(Note that Apple advises that you should not force restart your Apple Watch except under certain other circumstances:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support)

Jun 30, 2016 4:11 AM in response to juliaellenxo

If your watch does not appear to be charging properly, try the steps in my earlier reply within this thread:

Re: Re: When I turn on my apple watch it shows the time and a lightning bolt it is not charging though how do I get it t…

If the issue then persists, contact Apple Support or make a Genius Bar reservation with a view to having your watch and power accessories checked under warranty:

Contact - Official Apple Support

https://twitter.com/applesupport

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

When I turn on my apple watch it shows the time and a lightning bolt it is not charging though how do I get it to the home screen ?? I tried pressing everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.