Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 safari redirects me to a spam website

Ok, so I was at my girlfriend house a couple of days ago and she told me that every time she used safari it would redirect her to spam websites. The situation was widespread on all her devices, and roommates devices. When I checked my cellphone to google it happened to me to so I quickly turned off my wifi and everything was fine. A couple days later I was surfing the web on my cellphone while I was at my house and it happened again. It was on my own apartment this time. I don't know what it is and whats going on. the website that always redirects is this website: abc.apportium. My guess is that is malware or a virus that is infecting my network Is there anything I can do to solve my situation?

Thank you!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 8:29 PM

22 replies

Feb 25, 2017 2:34 PM in response to serg407

I had the same problem as Safari kept directing me to the same URL despite me entering a different URL on both Safari and Chrome browsers. This is how I resolved it.

Open your Safari, go to Preference, then click on Advanced, then look for Proxies: Change Settings.

Click on Change Settings, then go to Proxies, then untick Web Proxy (HTTP) and also untick the checkbox against Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV). Then try again tonow enter a different URL on your Safari & Chrome browsers and it should work now.

Hope the above will help out some of you having the same problem.

Jul 22, 2015 6:46 AM in response to serg407

This is not due to a virus. At your girlfriend's house, the network has been hacked. Refer her here for some solutions:

How can I troubleshoot my wireless router or modem with my Mac?

As for what is happening with your phone at your house, it's possible that your network has now also been hacked. This would be completely unrelated, and can happen simply because a botnet has located your network and found it vulnerable to attack. If, however, you are not having trouble with all devices on your network, your phone may simply be using cached network data. For help with clearing that cache, see:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/03/31/clear-dns-cache-ios/

(Fair disclosure: I am affiliated with Malwarebytes, and am recommending a link to their site above.)

Jul 25, 2015 12:10 PM in response to serg407

Okay, I can't speak for the Peru21 site, but the other two are obviously legit sites and shouldn't be causing those redirects.

Have you tested this on another network? You may need to repeat the cache clearing procedure once on that other network.

If the problem continues regardless of the network, go to Settings -> Wi-Fi and click the little "i" button next to the selected wireless network. In the settings screen that appears, what is shown for the DNS setting?

Jul 25, 2015 2:50 PM in response to serg407

Yes, it's often normal to see two.

Those appear to be registered to an internet service provider called Telefonica del Peru. Is that who provides your network service? I'm guessing probably so, since one of the sites you mentioned visiting is Peru21.

Try changing those DNS entries to Google's DNS servers:

8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

See if that makes any difference. If it does, try changing it back to the original numbers provided by your ISP. If the problem comes back at that point, your ISP's DNS servers have been hacked, and you'll need to discuss this with them.

If using Google's servers makes no difference, another question: have you jailbroken your phone, or otherwise installed apps not from the App Store (such as an app that offered to be downloaded directly from a website)?

Iphone 6 safari redirects me to a spam website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.