Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to my music after the Apple Music trial ends?

I just started my free trial of Apple Music today. After starting the free trial, I saw that I was supposed to back up before starting Apple Music. A little late for that, don't you think? Anyway, after the three month free trial ends, what will happen to the music that I had on my device before starting Apple Music? Will it be deleted?

Thanks,

-Ethan

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2017 7:39 PM

I also just renewed my Apple Music and had this issue. I came to this forum for help but saw there was no answer. Here's how I fixed it: once you threw your music, add any song to your library with the plus button. You should

27 replies

Nov 2, 2015 6:56 PM in response to Ethan7988

This is incorrect, I let my trial period end because I was not interested in the Apple Music app because it just quits when you are running or bike riding or in the car if you are not connected to a network. It will not play your music. So when the trial ended, it removed ALL of my music I have collected for years on iTunes, and the app just shows a screen "Don't Miss a Beat" that you cannot remove unless you PAY for the service. Apple Music holds ALL of your music ransom until you PAYUP!! If you choose NOT to buy the Apple Music service, your iPhone will NOT be able to play ANY music or Tones. Everything has been removed or disabled!!

Jan 28, 2018 11:12 AM in response to ShilohToo

This is the issue I am currently having. I had music from when I was in high school and CDs were still heavily relevant and backed up all my CDs to my iTunes. All of my music disappeared after I let the subscription run out, and I no longer have the majority of the CDs and am scrambling to find a way to get my music back as it was over 64GB worth of music.

Mar 15, 2017 11:41 AM in response to Niel

Do you know how to get the music back once you renew your subscription? My trial expired and instead of automatically charging me for a subscription, it cancelled it due to my old credit card being on file. I went in and paid for the subscription but the music downloaded during the trial is still missing. How do I get it back? Thank you!!

Oct 20, 2017 5:15 AM in response to shaik.sameer

So here’s what Apple is not sharing: licensing rights. These rights allow you to copy and own the music given through a specific media, whether it be a CD, digital copy. You yourself will physically own the content of the product and do whatever you please. The thing is that Apple Music says “let’s make a deal, we’ll allow you to download whatever music you like for a fixed price every month but you can’t own it, so if you cancel your contract we can claw back everything you ever downloaded through our agreement.” That’s what is happening. That’s streaming services for you.

Jul 22, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Ethan7988

The music, albums & playlists you add to your Library using Apple Music will be removed if you do not pay for the monthly service after your free 3 month trial. Do not delete any of the music you have purchased or uploaded to iTunes Match off of your device(s), especially if you don't have any backups of your music. These will not be removed when the trial is over.

To check your subscription payment option, launch Music in iOS and click on the person icon in the top left corner. Tap View Apple ID & enter your Apple ID password. Under SUBSCRIPTIONS, tap Manage. Toggle Automatic Renewal off if you do not want to automatically be paying for the service after 3 months.

You should still back up your music and system, so back up using Time Machine or other methods as soon as possible.

Nov 9, 2015 5:23 AM in response to Ethan7988

I was reading the comments on this forum and I have to say, although my songs where no deleted after the 3 month trial period, my entrire collection (years of effort) seems to be in some sort of "brain death" state: all albums and songs appear in iTunes, but when a try to play ANY album, iTunes would simple ignore them. Moreover, if a click on individual songs, they will play...but as soon as the song ends, it will not continue to the next in the list. Finally, I noticed that all the track lists are "dimmed", although no warning or error messages are associated to them. Very frustrating!!!

if I use a third party player (example, VOX) that can sync to my itunes library, al the albums are available for playing...is like apple is actively pushing me to completely discard iTunes...

What happens to my music after the Apple Music trial ends?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.