Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari not working properly, this url coming up http://x

My safari has stopped working properly, the homepage is automatically set to http://x&$search_param$=$search_id$/. I have tried to reset the homepage to the normal apple website but then when I quit safari and come back to it the same problem appears again. Safari will work if I tap into the url and search up a website (e.g. google) however when safari is opened or a new tab is open http://x&$search_param$=$search_id$/ This is what the url automatically comes up to. Is there a way I can just reset safari as a whole to get it back to normal?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 2:25 AM

Go to Safari menu (At the very top right side of your screen next to Apple icon), choose "Quit Safari"

press "Shift" button and while holding this button on your keyboard single click on the Safari icon on your Dock.

Open Safari - Preferences - Privacy - Remove All Website Data.

Open the Go menu with Option (Alt) key pressed - Library - locate Safari folder and move it to your desktop.

Also, download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

You can also remove the adware blocking Safari manually using the steps provided by Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

Also, I believe it would be a good idea to install AdBlock.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2015 2:25 AM in response to anonymous178

Go to Safari menu (At the very top right side of your screen next to Apple icon), choose "Quit Safari"

press "Shift" button and while holding this button on your keyboard single click on the Safari icon on your Dock.

Open Safari - Preferences - Privacy - Remove All Website Data.

Open the Go menu with Option (Alt) key pressed - Library - locate Safari folder and move it to your desktop.

Also, download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

You can also remove the adware blocking Safari manually using the steps provided by Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

Also, I believe it would be a good idea to install AdBlock.

Jul 24, 2015 5:59 AM in response to anonymous178

You've got adware installed. (Amusingly, from the string being injected as your home page, it looks like that adware is a bit broken! 😁)

You'll need to remove that adware. See my Adware Removal Guide for help with that. And if you'd like to poke fun at adware that can't even set the home page to a real site, let us know what you found! 😉

(Fair disclosure: I am affiliated with Malwarebytes, whose site I am recommending above.)

Jul 24, 2015 8:22 AM in response to anonymous178

First, all so-called "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software is harmful in one way or another, is not needed, and should not be used.

You may have installed one or more variants of the "InstallMac" trojan. Take the steps below to disable it.

The criminal behind this attack tries to make the malware hard to remove by varying the names of the files it installs. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

Back up all data before continuing.

1. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "LaunchAgents" will open.

2. Inside the folder you just opened, there may files with a name of the form

something.download.plist

something.ltvbit.plist

something.update.plist

where something is usually a meaningless string, such as any of the following:

InKeepr

InstallMac

Javeview

Leperdvil

Listchack

Oliverto

Texiday

These are examples, not a complete list. The string could be anything. The point is that the same string will appear in the name of three files.

You could have more than one copy of the malware, with different values of something.

Move all such items to the Trash. There may not be any other files in the LaunchAgents folder; in that case, you can delete the folder, but otherwise don't delete it. Other files in the folder are not necessarily malicious (though they could be, if you also installed some other kind of malware.)

Log out or restart the computer. The trojan will now be inactive, but there are a few more components of it that should be cleaned up.

3. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Library/Application Support

and move to the Trash any subfolders named with the same something you found in Step 2.

Don't move the Application Support folder or anything else inside it.

4. Open the Applications folder. If there is an item with the same name as in Step 3, or any of the other names listed in Step 2, drag it to the Trash.

If in doubt, press the key combination option-command-4 to arrange the apps by date added. Look at the apps that have been added since you first noticed the problem. If there is one you don't recognize, drag it to the Trash.

Empty the Trash.

If you get an alert that the application is in use, force it to quit.

5. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall all extensions you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

6. Reset the home page in each of your browsers, if it was changed. In Safari, first load the home page you want, then select

Safari Preferences... General

and click

Set to Current Page

Jul 24, 2015 10:23 AM in response to anonymous178

Hello anonymous178,

Please follow D.Cohen's suggestion and run (what was formerly known as) AdwareMedic. That is the quickest, easiest, and most reliable way to eliminate this kind of adware.

Do NOT follow the instructions posted above by Linc Davis. Linc seems to be going to the extreme on his anti-AdwareMedic agenda. There is no way to ensure that "something.download.plist" or "something.update.plist" is adware. They may be software that you have paid for and expect to be functional. Manually trying to delete files in these hidden directories is dangerous to begin with. I have seem a number of people here on Apple Support Communities destroy their data by following suggestions like this. Regardless, there is no reason to ever go into "Application Support" because this is not one of those special locations that is automatically loaded by the operating system.

Jul 24, 2015 4:43 PM in response to anonymous178

Apple doesn't endorse any third-party "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product. Here and here are its general statements about malware protection, and here are its instructions for removing the most common types of ad-injection malware. None of those support pages mentions "anti-malware" products.

An Apple employee who recommends such a product is speaking only for himself or herself, not for the company. See this thread for an example of what can happen.

No software is going to save you from the consequences of unsafe online behavior. Caution is the only reliable defense against malware attack.

You should not, of course, rely only on my opinion.

<Edited By Host>

Jul 24, 2015 3:08 PM in response to anonymous178

Hello again anonymous178,

As someone once said, no software is going to save you from the consequences of unsafe online behavior. Caution is the only reliable defence. Virtually everyone on Apple Support Communities considers AdwareMedic to be a safe, reliable, and effective way to remove adware.

Beware of anyone who claims that everyone else is lying and tries to use posts from 2006 to support their claims. That was a different world back then. We didn't have the cross-platform malware, tech support scams, and security exploits that could fit into a tweet. Twitter itself was just founded in 2006. Computer change far too quickly to rely on old information like that. Most people here at Apple Support Communities try hard to stay abreast of the latest issue. Generally there is a 90% consensus about what actions you need to take. But this is still the internet and there is always the odd conspiracy theorist. Sometimes they can be entertaining, but always double-check.

Jul 24, 2015 4:46 PM in response to Linc Davis

If you were even-handed with your searches, you would also be able to find cases where I have recommended anti-virus software, based on the specific situation, the anti-virus software in question and the malware climate at the time.

Further, I know you're already perfectly aware of this. We have had disagreements before when, due to the malware climate and anti-virus software available at the time, I did recommend that people use anti-virus software.

The question of whether or not to use of anti-virus software is a controversial topic, and one that cannot ever have a definitive answer. All answers MUST depend on what the current malware threats are and what the characteristics of currently available anti-virus software are. At times, I have certainly recommended against anti-virus software, and at times I have recommended the use of some specific anti-virus programs.

Since the current climate mostly only includes the threat of adware, I currently recommend the use of tools that are good at detecting and removing adware. And I don't believe it to be an exaggeration at all to say that my own software, formerly AdwareMedic and now Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, is the only truly effective tool that is available in that arena.

<Edited By Host>

Jul 24, 2015 5:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

Search this site for thousands of comments about "anti-virus" and "anti-malware" software, which are almost without exception negative, then draw your own conclusions.

Yes. "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac" is a truly horrid name. If nothing else, it allows people to lump one product, AdwareMedic, which has virtually unanimous positive comments with many other, really bad, programs. I am a big fan of AdwareMedic, and I will continue to recommend (the software formerly known as) AdwareMedic. But I sincerely hope that its authors see the error of their ways and change it back to "AdwareMedic".

Jul 25, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

Search this site for thousands of comments about "anti-virus" and "anti-malware" software, which are almost without exception negative, then draw your own conclusions.

Search this site for thousands of comments about AdwareMedic, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac, and my Adware Removal Guide, which are almost without exception positive, then draw your own conclusions.

Or even better, ask an Apple support tech. Apple techs are seeing a lot of problems like these right now, and know how to handle them. They should be considered the authorities in the case of conflicting advice from strangers on a forum like this one.

Jul 25, 2015 8:39 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

I've been adhering to each of your safe browsing practices since buying my first Mac. But, I deviated. As a precaution for adware protection, I downloaded it. Selected, "Install from anywhere." Ran app. Screen started flickering. Safari glitches, more problems, and finally, Safari 8.0.7 is completely messed up.

I know you choose your words very carefully. I will not deviate again.

Thank you.

Jul 25, 2015 9:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

Correct. I didn't even have any problems before installing AdwareMedic. I was being cautious.

After running Malwarebytes on rMBP 2012: screen flickering, functions like holding down trackpad to highlight stopped, and today, nothing on Safari. Blank page. No history. E-mail was still working, though. I've been rebuilding Safari since yesterday. I've finally been able to access this page for help. I'm not technical enough to explain what else on my Mac got messed up. But my Mac will never be the same.

I understand everyone works hard, here, for the Apple Community. But I panicked from hearing about the adware scare. So I take responsibility for messing up. There may not be any negative stars for adware protection and I don't see an option to choose any.

safari not working properly, this url coming up http://x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.