Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air screen glitchy?

So my Macbook air has started acting up lately.

Normally when I close the computer, i can open and in seconds i can use it.

now sometimes it will start lagging and become unresponsive, forcing me to do a hard reset by holding the power button until it reboots.

Now consistently everything has been glitchy

mission control takes maybe 5-10 seconds to "render" (if thats the right term) and black bars randomly pop up on the desktop.

the launchpad too takes a long time to Render. noticeably slower than expose.

desktop is glitchy with black bars and my other desktop with a different picture looks like a an acid trip.

video's all have lines on them. streamed and downloaded

And worth mentioning. my screensaver has always been the color spectrum. Randomly it says quarts composer in a black screen.

also, might as well say too, i was drinking water a couple of days ago, and a vine made me laugh and i involuntarily sprayed my computer screen with water. i dried it up. it wasn't that much and i didnt think much of it. No problems for a couple days. so I think they are unrelated but im not sure.

anybody know whats going on?

And doesn't anybody know about deleted your windowserver.plist and reboot with holding down P and R as described here https://david.gyttja.com/2013/01/21/fix-lagging-display-performance-on-retina-ma cbook-pro/

i did it and it didnt work. and im getting more upset as i type..

So can anybody help me out?
Thanks in Advance

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 11:52 PM

15 replies

Jul 25, 2015 10:12 AM in response to morganoctober

Please post the output from EtreCheck

<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6174>

It is possible there is a bit of 3rd party software that is affecting performance. EtreCheck will most likely list it if it is there.

It is also possible you have picked up some Adware. You could try MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (formally AdwareMedic)

<https://www.malwarebytes.org/>

Jul 26, 2015 2:29 AM in response to BobHarris

Thanks for your response.

So you think its probably a 3rd party bug.

well, im kind of reluctant on downloading anti malware. Im not sure why but when i do it i end up getting a virus. and i've heard some bad reviews on etracheck. (http://www.needhelp4mac.com/2014/06/beware-of-adware-included-in-installers/) even though people say its okay, some people always end up with trouble and it always ends up being me. So i try to download as few things as possible.

But my computer has been acting different from when i posted the original post.

Now everything is back up to speed, but speed only. It no longer takes 5-10 seconds to go to mission control

and launchpad is relatively quick

but its still super glitchy.

still have lines on my videos

black bars pop up on my desktop when i switch fullscreens/desktops

but its performing decent.

i had google chrome, ableton live, photoshop/illustrator and itunes up and theres not performance lag at all.

A lot of glitches still.

and occasionally, its happened twice so far. my computer will just freeze (Music will still play) for about 30 seconds. So far its only happened when itunes is playing.

So, Do you still think its a third party software. And do you think its absolutely necessary to download the anti ware?
Thanks

Jul 26, 2015 5:49 AM in response to morganoctober

morganoctober wrote:

i've heard some bad reviews on etracheck. (http://www.needhelp4mac.com/2014/06/beware-of-adware-included-in-installers/)

EtreCheck is a good program, and will not install adware. That link illustrates a problem with downloading from Download.com, not a problem with EtreCheck. Downoad EtreCheck from its official site here:

http://etrecheck.com

You won't have any problems with it if you download it from there.

Posting EtreCheck results will give folks some concrete information that will be helpful in diagnosing your problem.

Jul 26, 2015 9:28 AM in response to morganoctober

So you think its probably a 3rd party bug.

I said it was possible. And frequently for people posting performance issues to the forum, it "is" caused by 3rd party software. Either intentionally installed (anti-malware, Mac cleaners, memory cleaners, ...), or accidentally installed software through deceit on the part of the software.

well, im kind of reluctant on downloading anti malware.

EtreCheck is just a tool that displays your system configuration, and 3rd party additions. It automatically filters out personal information ("Redacted"). You can then review it and then your get to copy and paste it into a reply to these forums. If you search the forum for "EtreCheck" you will find thousands of reports previously posted. EtreCheck makes not changes to your system, and does not run in the background. It is very helpful tools.

If you still do not trust EtreCheck, then following the advice from Linc Davis in this thread: <Slow MacBook Pro>. It does not require any 3rd party software

As for MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (formally AdwareMedic), which was written by thomas_r. a long term contributor to the forum, you can find many many posts where AdwareMedic was used, and even more posts where thomas_r. has aided Mac users in this forum. AdwareMedic also does not install anything on your Mac, it does not run in the background. It runs ONLY when you run it, and then it is finished.

The nice thing about AdwareMedic is that is knows what to look for. But if you do not trust AdwareMedic, then if you do identify Adware on your system, and you have a name, you can most likely Google search for manual instructions on removing that as well. Depending on the adware, Linc Davis has often posted manual removal instructions.

But as it stands now, we have very little information to make guesses with.

Another approach is to make a free Apple Genius Bar appointment to have your Macbook Air evaluated. If there is a hardware repair necessary, they will inform you of any costs before doing anything else. You should backup your Macbook Air before going to the Apple Store.

Jul 26, 2015 10:23 AM in response to BobHarris

Ok. Thanks guys. That was very simple. Downloaded it and used it. Here are the results

Problem description:

Glitches. Instability.

EtreCheck version: 2.2 (132)

Report generated 7/27/15 2:19 AM

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Click the [Click to remove] links for help removing adware.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011) (Verified)

MacBook Air - model: MacBookAir4,2

1 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery: Health = Check Battery - Cycle count = 815 - SN = D86134401DSDKRNAQ

Video Information: ℹ️

Intel HD Graphics 3000 - VRAM: 384 MB

Color LCD 1440 x 900

System Software: ℹ️

Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63) - Time since boot: 6:18:14

Disk Information: ℹ️

APPLE SSD SM256C disk0 : (251 GB)

disk0s1 (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 250.14 GB (53.39 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. FaceTime Camera (Built-in)

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Internal Memory Card Reader

Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️

Apple, Inc. MacBook Air

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/System/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore (5.2.6 - SDK 10.4) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions/Seagate Storage Driver.kext/Contents/PlugIns

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_4 (5.2.6 - SDK 10.4) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_5 (5.2.6 - SDK 10.5) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.SeagateDriveIcons (5.2.6 - SDK 10.4) [Click for support]

Problem System Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[running] com.seagate.TBDecorator.plist [Click for support]

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.epson.eventmanager.agent.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] jp.co.canon.MasterInstaller.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Google Chrome Application Hidden (/Applications/Google Chrome.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

AdobeAAMDetect: Version: AdobeAAMDetect 2.0.0.0 - SDK 10.7 [Click for support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 11.8.800.94 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.1

Flash Player: Version: 11.8.800.94 - SDK 10.6 Outdated! Update

NPLoaderOSX: Version: Unknown

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.2.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.20125.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 7 Update 25 Check version

Safari Extensions: ℹ️

Searchme Adware! [Click to remove]

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Flash Player [Click for support]

Java [Click for support]

Seagate Dashboard for Mac OSX [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

4% WindowServer

2% fontd

2% Google Chrome

1% Google Chrome Helper(8)

1% Creative Cloud

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

1.54 GB Google Chrome Helper(8)

324 MB Google Chrome

160 MB mtmd

102 MB iTunes

82 MB mds

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

706 MB Free RAM

3.31 GB Used RAM

56 MB Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Jul 26, 2015, 08:00:57 PM Self test - passed

Jul 26, 2015 10:29 AM in response to morganoctober

I don't see anything likely to cause these kinds of problems. The Seagate software is something you probably ought to get rid of, but it seems rather unlikely that it would be causing this kind of issue.

I'm afraid you may be looking at the possibility of a hardware issue. You contact Apple, and see if you can take it to your nearest Apple Store for testing.

Jul 26, 2015 10:41 AM in response to thomas_r.

Ok. Yeah thats what i feared.
the seagate software is for the external hard drive where my backup of my computer is via TimeMachine. If i got rid of that would it still read my External Hard Drive? Im not sure how that works, because i think its different that like a normal flashdrive with alot of space (Which is what i thought it as equivalent to when i bought it) I plugged it into a PC, and my friend had to down load software to view it.

But anyhow, Yeah thats what ill have to do when i get back to the states. Hopefully its fixable. Thanks for you help though. I appreciate it.

Jul 26, 2015 11:10 AM in response to morganoctober

Generally a USB attached external disk does not need additional software. If you still have the Seagate driver installer, you can always re-install the drivers if you find you have problems accessing the external drive.

EtreCheck calls out

as Adware, but since thomas_r. did not jump up and down about it, I'm assuming it is not a serious resource hog. And if anyone would know, it would be thomas_r. 😀

I think I agree with thomas_r., that you need to make an Apple Genius Bar appointment (assuming you have an Apple Store near by). Otherwise an Apple Authorized Service dealer, or call Apple support (although taking to them on the phone may cost something up front, where as the Genius Bar evaluation is free).

Jul 26, 2015 11:18 AM in response to morganoctober

morganoctober wrote:

the seagate software is for the external hard drive where my backup of my computer is via TimeMachine. If i got rid of that would it still read my External Hard Drive?

Yes, it should still work fine. You don't need the software that comes with your drive in order to use it, and in fact, it's a good idea not to use it at all. Using that software has the potential to cause problems, even including data loss, as happened recently with some Western Digital software following an OS X update.

Jul 26, 2015 11:20 AM in response to BobHarris

BobHarris wrote:

EtreCheck calls out

as Adware, but since thomas_r. did not jump up and down about it, I'm assuming it is not a serious resource hog. And if anyone would know, it would be thomas_r. 😀

Lol, I didn't even notice that. I wasn't paying attention to Safari extensions, though, since those wouldn't cause the kind of problems reported. That should definitely be removed, of course, which can easily be done in this case by simply going to the Extensions pane in Safari's preferences window and deleting that Searchme extension.

Jul 26, 2015 2:39 PM in response to morganoctober

well, im kind of reluctant on downloading anti malware.

So you should be.

The only tools that anyone needs to detect and remove adware are the Finder and a web browser, both of which you already have. Anyone who has enough computer skill to install adware can just as well remove it without using anything else.

Apple doesn't endorse any third-party "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product. Here and here are its general statements about malware protection, and here are its instructions for removing the most common types of ad-injection malware. None of those support pages mentions anti-malware products. An Apple employee who recommends such a product is speaking only for himself or herself, not for the company. See this thread for an example of what the results can be.

You become infected with malware by downloading unknown software without doing research to determine whether it's safe. If you keep making that mistake, the same, and worse, will keep happening, and no anti-malware will rescue you. Your own intelligence and caution are the only reliable defense.

As a Mac user myself, I'm concerned about attempts by the Windows/Android anti-malware industry to move in on our platform and persuade us that we must depend on its black-box products to be safe. The truth is that relying on such products makes us less safe from malware attack, not more, because anti-malware can't possibly defend against every threat, and if we have a false sense of security, we may take risks from which it doesn't protect us.

The Windows and Android anti-malware industry had more than $75 billion in aggregate sales in 2014 [source: Gartner, Inc.]. The marketing strategy of that industry is to make its prospective customers feel that they're defenseless against malware attack unless they use its products. But with all that anti-malware, the Windows and Android platforms are still infested with malware—most of it far more dangerous than mere adware. The same thing can be expected to happen to the Mac platform if its users depend on the same industry to protect them, instead of protecting themselves.

<Edited By Host>

Jul 26, 2015 3:27 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, that is one single unsubstantiated report, and I'll point out that I am working with that individual privately. I'm sure the matter will be resolved, and that it will turn out the problem was actually not related to AdwareMedic.

Should I turn around and post a selection of the thousands of posts I've seen this year from folks who have had their problems solved by AdwareMedic? No, probably not... the moderators have not appreciated your attempts to do the opposite, so I don't think I'll do that.

Macbook Air screen glitchy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.