Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes match no longer downloading music after update.

I recently updated my iPhone (iOS 8.4) my iTunes Match started to function differently. I have used iTunes match since a few months after it came out. When I would select a song it would not only stream instantly, but it would leave the copy that it pulled from the cellular network onto my phone so I could listen to it when I was out of cellular coverage or when I was getting close to burning through my data plan. Since I downloaded the new iOS with the new version of the Music app it no longer saves the copy of the song I had listened to. This was an essential feature of the Match service, and without it I don't see the value in spending money on it. I realize I could manually pick the songs I want to save, but why would I use Match to do that when I could do the exact same thing by plugging it into my computer for free? Frustrated.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 12:48 PM

3 replies

Jul 26, 2015 1:18 PM in response to JGallegos335

Hello, I concur with your issue, and your correct in that streamed music is no longer available for off-line listening. I noticed it the day of the release and discovered it's best to download albums and tracks in advance. The benefit is this allows you better control of your music. Should you need more memory, simply delete albums or tracks to free up space. Music streamed prior to the iOS 8.4 update had to be downloaded anyways in order to delete, even if they were streamed. So despite this minor streaming flaw, using iTunes Match still allows you far more "mobility" of your music library versus using the computer sync method. The former method of streaming didn't actually download the music meaning memory was cached slowly over time. Hope this helps you out.

Jul 26, 2015 1:47 PM in response to Brskiz

I disagree that this is a "minor" streaming flaw. This was a major feature of this service to me. It meant I didn't have to go through and pick out songs that I wanted to listen to, my music would be available if I had picked it to listen to - meaning songs that I liked would be available to me when I lose cell service, which is often where I live. With 12,000+ songs it saved me a ton of time and prevented me from using data to stream the same song twice. Plus, the feature was smart. It deleted songs off your phone to free up memory starting from your least used songs.

Jul 26, 2015 2:30 PM in response to JGallegos335

I hear you loud and clear, it's a major problem in your case considering how you utilize the system. Users have different methods of using iTunes Match and I'm sorry the previous method is no longer available. Many users complained how iTunes Match not being a straight stream system but it worked for you. I found myself needing memory for large tasks throught the year and discovered there was no way to delete cashed music without going back and downloading it even after it was cashed. But that's me. Hope you find a solution. Here's an example of another users frustration of having to reset their phone to recover memory.

iTunes Match is a trainwreck - and has been for over a year

iTunes match no longer downloading music after update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.