Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help port forwarding.

All,

I previously posted this thread...

How to portforward, FIOS Router going in to Airport extreme?

The response I was given was that I should make sure my Airport extreme is set to bridge mode (and run off my FiOS router), and port forward through verizon.

Looking at the Airport Utility, I realized my router was not set to bridge mode, rather it was set to "Share a Public IP Address."

Upon changing it to bridge mode, it still worked but my connection was about 5 times slower, so I've put it back to "Share a Public IP Address."

How do I go about port forwarding in this situation? I am really frustrated and have spent hours trying to solve this issue.

If you can please add me on Skype: SquadL49

I apologize for my ignorance on this matter, I am 18 and still live at home, my parents hired someone to set the airport/fios system up so neither they or I really know much about it and I am in desperate need of someone more experienced that can help me out.

Thank you so much,

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 6:39 PM

The response I was given was that I should make sure my Airport extreme is set to bridge mode (and run off my FiOS router), and port forward through verizon.

These are the correct instructions.

Upon changing it to bridge mode, it still worked but my connection was about 5 times slower

Once you did this, did you remember to power off both the Fios router and the AirPort Extreme......wait a minute.....start the Fios and let it run a minute....then start the AirPort Extreme and let it run a minute?

The AirPort Extreme should be faster in Bridge Mode....not slower.

so I've put it back to "Share a Public IP Address." How do I go about port forwarding in this situation?

Sorry, but you don't.

When the AirPort Extreme is set to Share a Public IP Address, you have a Double NAT error on your network. Port Forwarding settings will not work correctly with a Double NAT. You can confirm that you have a Double NAT Error on the network as follows:

Open AirPort Utility, select the AirPort Extreme and click on Manual Setup

Click the Status setting and you will see Double NAT there.

Apple's own instructions built into AirPort Utility tell you to set up the AirPort Extreme in Bridge Mode. Please do as Apple instructs.....you have been ignoring the instructions in AirPort Utility to configure the AirPort Extreme in Bridge Mode.

User uploaded file

The Fios router must be set up to forward the ports that you need and the AirPort Extreme must be set up in Bridge Mode to allow the settings to pass through. Double NAT acts like a firewall.....it will not allow the port forwarding settings from the Fios router to pass through the AirPort Extreme.

IF.....it were possible to configure the Fios router in Bridge Mode (You can confirm with Verizon that they will not allow you to do this).....then....you could set up Port Forwarding on the AirPort Extreme.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2015 6:39 PM in response to AhmedA77

These are the correct instructions.

Upon changing it to bridge mode, it still worked but my connection was about 5 times slower

Once you did this, did you remember to power off both the Fios router and the AirPort Extreme......wait a minute.....start the Fios and let it run a minute....then start the AirPort Extreme and let it run a minute?

The AirPort Extreme should be faster in Bridge Mode....not slower.

so I've put it back to "Share a Public IP Address." How do I go about port forwarding in this situation?

Sorry, but you don't.

When the AirPort Extreme is set to Share a Public IP Address, you have a Double NAT error on your network. Port Forwarding settings will not work correctly with a Double NAT. You can confirm that you have a Double NAT Error on the network as follows:

Open AirPort Utility, select the AirPort Extreme and click on Manual Setup

Click the Status setting and you will see Double NAT there.

Apple's own instructions built into AirPort Utility tell you to set up the AirPort Extreme in Bridge Mode. Please do as Apple instructs.....you have been ignoring the instructions in AirPort Utility to configure the AirPort Extreme in Bridge Mode.

User uploaded file

The Fios router must be set up to forward the ports that you need and the AirPort Extreme must be set up in Bridge Mode to allow the settings to pass through. Double NAT acts like a firewall.....it will not allow the port forwarding settings from the Fios router to pass through the AirPort Extreme.

IF.....it were possible to configure the Fios router in Bridge Mode (You can confirm with Verizon that they will not allow you to do this).....then....you could set up Port Forwarding on the AirPort Extreme.

Jul 26, 2015 7:24 PM in response to AhmedA77

Good luck on the Port Forwarding settings for the Fios router. Please let us know when you have things working in that regard.

Out of curiosity, what device do you have that requires Port Forwarding settings? A game console perhaps?

If the FIos router supports Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), it should automatically open the correct ports that a device requires.

Need help port forwarding.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.