Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad crashes and reboots after few minutes of use. Any solution ?

Hello,

I have an iPad (3rd Generation) WiFi + Cellular 64 GB and recently it started to crash (shuts down) after a few minutes, about 2-4 minutes (I'm not really sure exactly how long), and then it reboots. The iPad shuts down without any spinning icon like when shut down properly, and then it instantly reboots like the normal boot screen. Everything seems to work perfectly fine during the short period the iPad is on, and then it reboots again. While using any app (3rd party or stock) there is a very quick translucent (grey) curtain type thing that appears from the left of the screen, and then it crashes and reboots. In the home screen it just crashes and reboots. This happens again and again. This problem started a week ago, but I could not look into it as I was about to leave for a trip and I realised the issue just before leaving and I kept the iPad at my home as I was in a hurry. I came back yesterday and tried searching a lot for the solution but couldn't find a proper solution.

My iPad is running iOS 8.3 . I did not update to iOS 8.4 as I heard of some battery issues, and now I can't update due to the reboot loop. My iPad is NOT Jailbroken, and has never been Jailbroken, so this is not a jailbreak issue.

I tried resetting it several times but it didn't work. I drained the battery and charged it and rebooted properly it didn't work. I don't want to restore it through iTunes as I don't have any Backups, and I have 24+ GB used and I don't want my PC to lose that much space, and I wonder what will happen if the iPad reboots during restore so I don't want to take any risks. I don't want to lose any data as I've got many stuff (photos and apps) that I need.

Also we don't have any Official Apple Stores or service center (I guess they call it the Genius bar) in my country. Although we have AASPs but I'm not sure if they'll fix this problem. I bought my iPad in 2012 by the way.

Is there anyone who know any solution to this problem, or anyone who can suggest something I can try ? Are there other devices which have been affected like this ? Please help me.

Thank You.

iOS 8.3, iPad 3 WiFi + Cellular 64 GB

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 9:31 AM

Dismiss every app by double clicking the home button and then swipe the material sitting above each app up and away.

See if it will reboot then by holding both the home and power buttons until the apple logo appears, about 10-40 seconds, and then release both buttons.

If it continues, go to Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage and look at the error messages to see what message it puts up when the trip occurs.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 9:31 AM in response to z.a.s

Dismiss every app by double clicking the home button and then swipe the material sitting above each app up and away.

See if it will reboot then by holding both the home and power buttons until the apple logo appears, about 10-40 seconds, and then release both buttons.

If it continues, go to Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage and look at the error messages to see what message it puts up when the trip occurs.

Jul 27, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

I dismissed all apps and waited but it still rebooted in a loop, I tried it before too but it didn't work. I tried resetting by holding Home and Sleep/Wake (and power) button and it rebooted but the problem remains.

There is no Diagnostics & Usage section in Setting > General > About > but I found it in Settings > Privacy and there in the Diagnostics & Usage Data section there were many error messages. The recent ones all had a date then a hyphen with a number and then one thing that was common is "panic.ips" there were a LOT of error messages ending with "panic.ips" in the full message there was some info on my iPad and then a whole bunch of numbers and alphabets. The only thing I could properly read (aside the device info) was "debugger message : WDT timeout".

The problem is still not fixed though.

Jul 27, 2015 11:31 AM in response to z.a.s

That sounds like a problem I would drop on the techs at the Apple store genius bar - they have all of the error codes and can see what is causing the panic, sounds akin to a kernel panic in a Mac. Often that can be due to things like memory. I would see what the genius bar folks have to say about it.

Oops, remembered you said initially you do not have an Apple store with genius bar - in that case try contacting either an AASP or Apple Support for a recommendation on having it checked, see: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232 for info on Apple Support.

Jul 27, 2015 7:54 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thank you for your reply Ralph Landry1. I tried using the link which tried to show me AASPs near me, and I found none for the iPad. There are AASPs for Macs and iPhones. I even have an AASP across the street but it seems they only do macs. Do you think they might help somehow ?

Also should I post the full error data I got from Diagnostics & Usage Data so you or someone else might understand and help ? I tried searching on the web on it but found no solution.

Should I try to update to iOS 8.4 ? Might that help ?

Aug 28, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Briansyddall

I could've restored but the thing is I've got way too much things (22 GB+) on my iPAd, and I don't want to lose everything. I can't even backup properly as the iPad resets before backing things up on my PC.

Also we don't have any Apple store here (like I mentioned above). We do have AASP's but they seem to be only authorized at dealing with macs, and iPods (according to the Apple website), although there's one providing service for iPhone too. But none seems to deal with iPad, but will taking my iPad to any AASP work ?

Is there anyway to determine what is causing the problem, by myself as there are a bunch of error codes on the Diagnostics & Usage Data section. I've got a lot of "panic.ips" and in those there's "WDT timeouts" as Debugger message.

Also why can't I update to iOS 8.4?

iPad crashes and reboots after few minutes of use. Any solution ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.