Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

charger in box?

does iPod touch include a charger in box? or is it an additional cost?

iPod touch

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 6:52 PM

25 replies

Jul 28, 2015 5:10 AM in response to Neebs

Neebs wrote:

But doesn't the cable charge the device once plug it in the computer? My cable does, that's why I'm technically calling it a charger. I'm guessing there's a different charger I'm not aware of.

It's just a cable, you are fooling yourself. When plugged into a computer, the computer is the charger.

Try plugging the cable only into the iPod, see how long that takes to charge.

Jul 28, 2015 5:20 AM in response to Csound1

Well thank you for an actual answer. Instead of someone saying "no it's not a charger", you actually explain because I'm new to this. Because what I was thinking was as long as the cable plugs into the computer and into an an iPod it's basically the "charger". Not one where you don't need any outlet or USB port. You learn something everyday though.

Jul 28, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Everyone is a little confused... There is really no such thing as a "charger." The USB adapter (which I think is what is being referred to here) literally just lowers the voltage of the power outlet as it would be too high otherwise. If you plug it into the computer, there is no need for the adapter, as the power has already been lowered for the computer. You know how with the computer's power supply the cable plugs directly into the outlet? And how there is that little box about halfway down the cable? That little box is just another power adapter. The cable that comes with the iPod touch is the USB to Lightning adapter. It is just how the electricity travels from the adapter or computer into the device.

Jul 28, 2015 10:19 AM in response to General Nuisance

General Nuisance wrote:

Everyone is a little confused... There is really no such thing as a "charger." The USB adapter (which I think is what is being referred to here) literally just lowers the voltage of the power outlet as it would be too high otherwise.

It does more than that. It converts AC to DC and if it's properly designed it assesses the battery condition and stops charging it when it's fully charged (or trickle charges it). The current available from the computer's USB socket is likely to be smaller so it takes longer to charge the device. The real point of the original question is that the box does not include a charger which would enable you to charge the device away from a computer, so it's important that prospective purchasers realise that they can only charge by using a computer.

Jul 28, 2015 11:18 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger Wilmut1 wrote:

General Nuisance wrote:

Everyone is a little confused... There is really no such thing as a "charger." The USB adapter (which I think is what is being referred to here) literally just lowers the voltage of the power outlet as it would be too high otherwise.

It does more than that. It converts AC to DC and if it's properly designed it assesses the battery condition and stops charging it when it's fully charged (or trickle charges it). The current available from the computer's USB socket is likely to be smaller so it takes longer to charge the device. The real point of the original question is that the box does not include a charger which would enable you to charge the device away from a computer, so it's important that prospective purchasers realise that they can only charge by using a computer.

Well, I thought converting AC to DC is a (perhaps desired) byproduct of the lowering of voltage. I'm no expert, so don't quote me. But I believe the way they lower the power (if I'm not mistaken) is by creating an electric charge with coiled wires. When the alternating current goes through the coiled wire, it creates an electric charge. Depending on how many coils there are in the wire, it can either lower, or increase the voltage (This is also how inductive charging works). I am not sure if it changes to DC through this process, or if that is done separately. Honestly, I didn't think it had to be changed 😁 BTW, can you site some sources? I am really into the whole electricity thing and could probably benefit from some of that stuff. 😉

And I suppose you have a point there. It is true that the current model of iPod touch doesn't come with an adapter. So, it is also true that you can't charge where there is no USB. Sue me😝 But that doesn't necessarily mean you need a computer. Any adapter that lowers to the required power level (I don't know exactly what this is) should work. I often charge my fitbit with my iPod's wall adapter that I bought separately. Speaking of which, are you sure that the adapter assesses battery condition? I thought that was done by the device.

charger in box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.