Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off shuffle play in itunes for iphone?

Sometime since the last time I used iTunes on my iPhone something has changed.

I now cannot figure out how to turn off shuffle play while listening to classical music on my iPhone.There appears to be a band across the top of the list of songs (actually movements) in the playlist, but all it offers is "shuffle."

I cannot figure out how to turn that "shuffle" thing off.

Any ideas?

I am using the most recent updates to iOS and to iTunes.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4, 16GB

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 7:31 AM

31 replies

Jan 18, 2017 2:39 PM in response to apaul57

Irritating, isn't it? Ever try to listen to side 2 of Abbey Road in Shuffle mode?

Paste from a previous post.

I presume that you (and rbbert above you) are concerned with the first issue, i.e. how to turn shuffle OFF. That is very easy, but not so intuitive. While you're playing music, if you don't see the large artwork of the song that's currently playing, tap the narrow bar near the bottom of the app where you see the song's name -- that will bring up the Now Playing artwork view that you're used to seeing. In that view there is the familiar criss-cross arrows for Shuffle, tap that icon so that it no longer has a gray background (gray background means Shuffle is ON; no gray background on arrows means that Shuffle is OFF).

I did this, but saw no Shuffle arrow icon...until I used my finger. There's more to that page if you scroll down. My Shuffle Arrows have a red background, not gray...but I was still able to turn Shuffle OFF.

> thank you to the author of the previous post.

Jan 24, 2017 11:46 AM in response to mountainduck

mountainduck wrote:

I did this, but saw no Shuffle arrow icon...until I used my finger. There's more to that page if you scroll down. My Shuffle Arrows have a red background, not gray...but I was still able to turn Shuffle OFF.

> thank you to the author of the previous post.

Please keep in mind that over time iOS changes, so the descriptions provided earlier in this thread were applicable at that point in time. Today's iOS has a red background on the shuffle icon, but it used to be gray.

Mar 18, 2017 2:09 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

My problem is I want to turn OFF shuffle on all my music unless I click the shuffle button. I am unable to change the background color of the shuffle icon. Each time I tap the icon the music shuffles. The color is always dark gray. I am using an iPhone 6s. I have asked Siri to turn off shuffle and she says that it is off. Music still shuffles. Very annoying!!!

Sep 6, 2017 8:29 AM in response to Zardon

No advice here helps me. I loaded a new playlist to hear an album in order as originally intended. When I played it this morning I deliberately avoided the shuffle button, tapped the first song, I could see that the order of songs listed on the screen was correct, but when that song finished a song from further down the list played instead. I just followed advice on this site to unshuffle but the description of the screens was different on my iPhone, which is up to date. Why can't the Apple genius code writers simply change the shuffle button to unshuffle when shuffle is on? A simple toggle effect would be intuitive for users which used to be Apple's trademark.

Sep 2, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Bubba1960

Bubba1960 wrote:

How can I direct my iPhone 6 to shuffle play all songs?

You don't really need a playlist to do this. Within My Music you'll see right in the middle of the screen in red "Artists" (or "Albums" or "Songs" etc.) Select "Songs" and then either tap Shuffle All at the top-left corner, or pick the first song you want and then bring up the now playing screen (i.e. artwork view of the song that's playing) and tap the shuffle icon at the bottom of the screen.

Sep 21, 2015 10:42 AM in response to SaitamaSooner

Lawrence's 1st reply on July 29th addresses the original poster Zardon described (i.e. how to turn shuffle OFF).

Lawrence's 2nd reply on Sept 2nd (and mine right after) addresses the opposite issue, i.e. how to shuffle all songs.

I presume that you (and rbbert above you) are concerned with the first issue, i.e. how to turn shuffle OFF. That is very easy, but not so intuitive. While you're playing music, if you don't see the large artwork of the song that's currently playing, tap the narrow bar near the bottom of the app where you see the song's name -- that will bring up the Now Playing artwork view that you're used to seeing. In that view there is the familiar criss-cross arrows for Shuffle, tap that icon so that it no longer has a gray background (gray background means Shuffle is ON; no gray background on arrows means that Shuffle is OFF).

How do I turn off shuffle play in itunes for iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.